Rosemary

The horses' hooves against the forest floor beat out a rhythm like a drummer going to battle as Nicholas and his sons closed in on the gentle king's lands. The old warlock's pointy finger reached out into the air before him as he called out to the riders that followed. "Just ahead through the clearing."

Daniel's heart slapped against his chest, knowing he'd finally lay his eyes on the woman he'd been dreaming of all this time. He memorized every soft curve of her face, and he'd fallen more and more down into the abyss caused by her absence in the world. He came to think of them all like family, the only one he'd ever wanted to be part of, and it would never be complete until she was safe in their fold.

He clutched the reins of his horse as his hands buzzed, and his heart fluttered the closer he came to the castle. He could feel Rosemary everywhere; all his body called out to her. Seeing the tall stone fortress before them, Daniel heeled his horse and took the lead when his need to be near her overcame him.

Finally making it to the castle's steps, the men climbed down from their horses. Nicholas glanced back at his sons as he got to the top step, and the doors opened before him. "Go water the horses. I'll not be long."

Even at full speed, it took weeks to reach the castle, and Daniel barely spoke to Nicholas the entire journey. The tips of his ears burned with the anger he buried deep inside him, and he shook his head as he turned back to his horse. With a slap on the back, Agamori nodded toward the water. "This way."

While they walked side by side behind Mage and Uzzi, Agamori took a deep breath of the clean air and glanced at Daniel. "There is nothing anyone could have done to stop this. Least of all you."

His nose wrinkled as his lips pulled down, and he ripped his gloves from his hands. "I knew she was in trouble, Agi. I should have done something."

Agamori crouched down and cupped the water in his hands at the stream's edge before splashing it over his face. "She is home now, and that's all that matters anymore. Blaming yourself for something you couldn't control does her no good. Leave it in the past where it belongs."

While Nicholas walked down the long hall to the guest rooms with Eliphas, the wise old king explained her condition. "She's more or less healed, but still having a great deal of pain. Nothing that her family and the comfort of her own bed can't take care of." Stopping before her room, Eliphas licked his lips as his long white hair fell around his shoulders. "Her mind, she's quite fragile right now. She blames herself, and she's just racked with guilt."

Nicholas wiped his hand across his mouth and nodded his head before patting the old king on his chest. "Thank you, old friend."

When he walked across the threshold of her room, Nicholas found Rosemary staring out the window. She pressed her fingers into his reflection, and he heard her sniffle as her entire body shivered. "I'm sorry."

His hands slid to her arms, and he turned her to face him, then pulled her into his chest. "Shh."

With a gentle rock back and forth, Nicholas spoke softly into her ear. "It isn't your fault. Only the evil in that man's heart caused this, and there is nothing you can do against such wickedness. Since the beginning of all things, we've fought it, and even the strongest and wisest are claimed by it sometimes. What matters now is that you are back, and you are alive. Everything else we will deal with as a family as we always have. You are not alone in this, my dearest one."

The leather riding gear he wore groaned as his knees dipped so he could see her eyes, and his fingertips swept over her still bruised cheeks. "We should go soon. The way home is very long." With a father's gentle hands, he wrapped her cloak around her back, then fastened the pin. "Are you ready?"

Pulling the hood over her head, Rosemary built up an invisible wall to shield her from the sympathetic eyes of her brothers that were sure to come. "Yes, father."

When the doors opened and their eyes met, a whimper hummed through Daniel's throat, and he grabbed onto his saddle to steady himself. Even knowing what happened to her, nothing prepared him for the horror of actually seeing it. One by one, her brothers lowered their heads to her in respect, and when she came to Daniel, he placed his hand over his heart and bowed. Her purple and green cheek rose just a little when she offered him a smile through her split lips.

Agamori mounted his horse and held his hand out to Rosemary as her father helped her up onto the animal's back. When she hissed the pain away, Daniel felt it in every cell, and his eyes teared along with her as she held tight to her brother for comfort.

He mounted his horse and came close to Agamori's side while the others fell into formation around them. His pointy chin slid over his shoulder, and Agamori whispered soothing words to her as he slid his hand over hers. "We'll be home soon."

The light peaked through the forest canopy and lit up her face as she rested her cheek against her brother's back. Daniel took every bruise and laceration into memory as he did the lovely features in his dreams. He swore to himself that someday, wherever he was, he would find her attacker and tear the man apart.

When they stopped for camp and the sun fell lower between the trees in the forest, Agamori wrapped his arms around Rosemary's waist and gently lifted her from the saddle. He planted his lips on the top of her head once she was on the ground, then his eyes fell on Daniel. Daniel removed his gloves and nodded his head to her as Agamori whispered in her ear. "This is Daniel Darke."

Her pale fingers reached out to him when she offered him her hand. "My lord." A shot of air blew across the moist remains of his lips on her skin as Daniel smirked and shook his head. "No, I'm... I'm no one. Just Daniel."

Rosemary held on to his hand a little too long. Not that Daniel minded. She was the Healer, but it was his touch that made her feel no pain for the first time in weeks. "I don't believe that's true at all, Daniel."

When darkness came, Rosemary laid down on the ground with her head resting on her father's leg. He combed his fingers through her hair and spoke to her in the old language. Even though Daniel couldn't understand the words well, he could sense the topic of conversation, and he pulled his legs close to his chest to fight the sickness in his belly.

With his chin resting on his knees, he kept watch over her through the firelight until her eyes shut. The night breeze shook the tree leaves, and the chill made her turn over to face the fire. With no one to interrupt him, Daniel took his time admiring her face, and even through the bruising and cuts, he saw the woman from his dreams.

He didn't mean for it to happen, but the bond was already made, and he connected with her mind easily. 'You're so beautiful.' Her eyes snapped open, and Daniel gasped as his head shook and his hand covered his chest. But he couldn't break the link, no matter how hard he tried. 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you.'

A sweet smile curled up on her lips, and her eyes fluttered shut. 'Thank you.'