Reaching out

'This is going to be the most peaceful announcement ever.' I said sarcastically to Emil. 'they're not gonna like this.'
     'I understand that the fisherman won't like it, or rather hate it. We're gonna need a solution for them. Without fishing they have no income. Food will get more scarce, maybe you will have to divide the food equally so everyone gets enough.'
     'It's not that bad. We have enough food. Prices will go up though.' I responded.
     Dad walked forward in the big hall. 'I have an announcement to make. We have a fishing problem. The amount of fish in our fishing waters is decreasing incredibly fast. therefore we must take action. From today on, fishing will not be allowed in all our current fishing waters.'
     'The crowd started murmuring harder.'
     'What? Fishing is my only way of income, I can't just stop!' yelled one of our fishermen.
     'Yes! My children will starve!' another woman yelled. A stream of accusations followed.
     'Calm down,' my dad's voice came out above everyone else, 'I will make sure everyone who loses their job will be looked after. Sadly we have no other choice. We will weekly measure the fish population. The moment it is recovered, you can start fishing. All nets will be removed today by Hiccup, the fish in the nets will be thrown back into the sea.' I rolled my eyes.
     'Great, of course I can go clean it up and bring all the nets to their respective owners. That is going to take me the whole afternoon.'
     'I can help.' Emil offered. I raised an eyebrow.
     'You can ride a dragon or handle a boat?' I asked.
     'Uhm... I can bring the nets to the owners if you dump them somewhere in the middle of the village.' Emil offered.
     'Don't you have anything better to do? Me and Toothless will be able to do it faster.' Emil thought for a moment.
     'I mean... I could go to see Isabelle and see if we can come to an agreement or something. But I can also help you. I'm not exactly looking forward to talking to her.' He pressed his lips together.
     'You should go talk to her, but don't let her walk over you. I'll be fine.' I didn't think she would walk over him, but just in case.
     'Alright. I kinda hoped you wouldn't say that, but you're right. Still don't like it.' Meanwhile dad was talking to some fisherman. Doing the diplomatic stuff.
     I turned around. Emil was still looking at me. 'Something wrong?' I asked.
     'Huh... yes, but nevermind.' Emil looked away. ' I'm gonna head home, see you.' Emil walked away. That was abruptly.
     'That... was... suspicious!' A voice excitedly said behind me. It was Astrid. I told her to shut up with my eyes. She laughed. 'Come on, don't tell me you didn't think the same.'
     'D-don't make things bigger than they are.'
     Astrid looked at me cunningly. 'You're stuttering. Got ya. I'm only saying that was suspicious, and since you didn't deny that, you agree. Anyway, I'll help you with the nets. I know it's a shitty task.'
    'Thanks, that will make this day much better. Let's get ready, I want to get it over with, if that's ok with you.' I didn't argue with her, I would lose anyway. Astrid took it as a victory.

     I walked into the living room. Dad sat at the table with a bunch of papers around him. 'I hope those fish are coming back very very soon because the paperwork I have to go through is endless. What does everyone need to give the fishermen to make sure they can live as before.'
     I dumped my bag next to the table. 'That sucks, you need some help?'
     'No, I'll take care of it. Could you fly once a day around the Island, just to make sure no fish is being caught? It wouldn't surprise me if some will try to catch some fish anyway.' I nodded and walked to the tap to get some water.
     'That's no problem. Me and Toothless fly everyday, I'll make sure to include the fishing spots in the route.'
     'I saw that Astrid helped you remove the nets. You are always with each other. Is there something... I don't know about?' I slapped myself in the face.
     'Dad! A-astrid is a fr-friend and she always will be.' Dad nodded slowly.
     'Alright, I must say you would be an amazing couple, but if there is no love, there just isn't.'
     'Right... so I'm gonna head upstairs, sleep well.'
     'Sleep well.' while running up the stairs, I was hitting myself on the head. This was so awkward. He meant it well and I did not really mind, it just was awkward.'

Astrid, Snotlout, Fishlegs, the twins and me were waiting in front of Emil's chamber. He opened the door.
     'Hey guys, what's up?'
     'You're coming with us.' Tuffnut and Ruffnut said. They both grabbed him at his shoulder and dragged him down the stairs.
     'I can walk off the stairs myself, come on.' Emil said.
     'You are going to become best friends with Meatlug and don't you dare say my lovely girl isn't adorable!' Fishlegs said. It's been a week since Emil arrived in the village. This morning we decided that Emil was going to meet the dragons. He was scared, but not that bad that we felt sorry for forcing him. Besides, nothing could go wrong.
    Meatlug was waiting in front of the tavern. We chose to start with him because he was the calmest of our dragons. 'Here is the plan, you are going to pet him and you're not gonna cry about it.' Astrid said.
     Snotlout put his arm around Emil and walked towards Meatlug. The first meters Emil didn't struggle but the last five Emil refused to take a step further. 'My little girl won't hurt you, look how cute she is.' Fishlegs said.
     'Nah I'm good.' Emil said, trying to break out of Snotlout's grip.
     Tuffnut walked towards Snotlout. 'Meatlug, come here buddy, who wants a pat?' Meatlug hopped towards Tuffnut. Emil stiffened. 'Good girl.' Tuffnut scratched Meatlug on his chin. Meatlug rolled on his side and Tuffnut started to tickle Meatlug's belly.
     'Come on Emil, look how cute he is, you're not gonna tell me that you still don't dare to touch him.' Fishlegs said.
     'Hiccup?' Emil looked at me with his begging eyes, hoping I would help him. I reconsidered for a second, but I didn't change my mind. His cute look almost convinced me. Staring me in the eyes was really hard to resist.
     'Emil, you must be kidding me, he is literally rolling in front of you, how is that frightening?' Snotlout said. Emil shook his head and slowly moved his hand towards Meatlug and scratched his belly. Meatlug kicked his legs in the air. Emil smiled and after a while he started to scratch him with two hands.
     'See, dragons aren't scary.' Tuffnut said.
     'Ok, ok, he is kinda cute.' Emil admitted, he turned his head and smiled proudly, looking me in the eyes. 'If you don't mind Snotlout, I would appreciate it if you let me go now.'
     Astrid gave me a poke and gave me an evil smile. 'Why do you see everything?' I whispered, but I couldn't stop a smile from forming on my face.