First signs

We walked past the blossom tree where I and Astrid had our little situation, yeah, let's keep it at that. 'Did you calm down a bit?' I asked. Emil looked up and smiled. He was so cute when he did that. Well he was always cute, but then he was even cuter.
     'Uhu, the name of the healer is Isabelle, right?' I nodded. 'I hope she won't be as stubborn after Zwanets legs have healed. I don't want to make enemies but I didn't really have a choice there. Don't you agree?
     'She is stubborn and she will always be, but after realizing you were right, she will respect you. I'm pretty sure of that. She can't be mad at you for saving a girl's legs, assuming her legs will heal.'
    'They will, I'm pretty sure. There are no guarantees of course but as long as it doesn't start swelling, it should heal.' We turned right towards the coast. The path was narrow and ran parallel to the village. The sides of the path were like walls of stone with plants growing through them. On both sides were small trees, covering us in shadows. The further you walked down, the more the plants made place for rocks. When we were halfway through we could see the sea, sparkling because of the reflecting sunlight.
     'Why did you move to Berk? No, actually, how did you even find it?' I asked.
    Emil took a second to think. 'Our village is located in a valley completely surrounded by mountains. We always suffered from avalanches, but the past year it got really bad so we decided to move. We heard about the village of dragons and my parents wanted to go there. We could afford to travel. We were all healthy and were pretty rich. I have my own clinic and my parents are traders. We saved some money and we left immediately when we had enough.'
     'That must have been hard. I hope you will feel at home soon.'
     Emil smiled. 'We'll manage. This village has been really kind to us so far. You and your friends make it a lot easier.'
     'I'm glad to hear that. There is still one problem though.'
     'Huh? What would that be?'
     'You haven't had a ride with me and Toothless yet.'
     'Oh no, I totally... don't want to do that.' Emil said faking excitement in the beginning.
     'Come on, no dragon has attacked you since you live here and they are everywhere. Why are you so afraid?'
     'They were a plague in our town. When I was younger they almost burned down my entire house. So nah, I'm not a fan.' There was a short silence.
     'Since when are you in peace with dragons? How did it even happen?' I basically explained the whole thing. Yup the whole thing, it took an eternity, but I didn't mind.
     While we were talking we sat down at the coast. It was a lowkey romantic setting but I refused to get carried away.  Ok I had a nervous-like happyish feeling in my stomach, but I acted normal.      'Wow, that's amazing. You started an entire revolution! I wish I had such an exciting story to tell.' 
     'You have an exciting story too, you are a healer at your age and outperformed ours with decades of experience. I think that's pretty cool.'
     Emil blushed and looked down. It was so adorable, a smile appeared on my face and I blushed as well. 'You're blushing!' Emil said.
     'So are you.' Emil shut his mouth.
     'Oh, never mind. Let's go back, I'm getting hungry.'
     'You will be even more when we are back, now we can enjoy the same lovely walk but uphill. That's why I almost never took this road, I forgot, great.' I said sarcasticly.

'Dad, we should ban fishing in all these areas.' I pointed at the map that I made myself. 'If we don't, the fish population won't be able to recover.' It was late in the evening. A lantern was burning next to the map. I was standing next to dad who sat at the table.
'But can't we reduce the amount of fishing instead of banning it?' Dad asked.
'No,' I said immediately. 'the damage is too big. Today I catched half of last week. I'm afraid we have hit a critical point. We need to fish in other areas until the fish population is recovered. If we don't do something now, these spots won't provide any fish at all. Then we have to fish further away anyway. The difference is that maybe next year these spots will have recovered. If we stop when all the fish are gone, who knows how long it will take before there are enough fish.'
     Today I went fishing with Astrid to see how the fishing spots were doing. We hadn't expected such an enormous decline. We had thrown the fish back in the sea. We did it with nets this time, not with plasma bolts. It's not very useful to throw back fried fish into the sea.
'How do you even know these things? You don't know the future, perhaps all the fish will return in a week. It's way too dangerous to fish much further. The people won't accept it. And the other areas almost don't have any fish at all!'
      'Dad! It's a pattern. I wrote down the numbers since a few days after the day the catches became less. In simple terms, every month we lose a certain number of fish. If you continue this pattern for two months, there won't be any fish at all.'
     'Show me.' Dad was stubborn, just like me. I ran upstairs and grabbed my log, knowing dad wouldn't understand it, but I had to show him first anyway.
     'Here. This is the amount of fish we catch each week. The numbers decrease.' Saying fish we catch each week per catch would be more correct, but I needed to keep it simple. 'And here you can see the prediction.' I turned the page. 'And here you can see how I predicted it.' I turned the page again, revealing a whole unorganized mess of numbers, but it made sense to me. Emil had helped me. Well he did most of it, but now I know how to do it as well, probably. I was impressed, he was very skilled. I also didn't mind sitting next to him, duh.
     'What is that? That makes no sense.' dad said. I squeezed both hands in my hair and sighed loudly, much to my fathers irritation. Well I was irritated as well!
     'I promise it's correct. Just trust me. And even if the predictions are incorrect, at least you can see that the amount of fish we catch is hitting low numbers.'
     'That makes no sense, we fished here for centuries, why would all the fish be gone now?'
     'Firstly, a lot more dragons live near Berk now and we can't tell them not to fish there. Secondly, we use dragons to fish, letting us catch way more fish.'
     'I don't know.' dad grumbled. I threw my hands in the air.
'Oh come on! We don't have an alternative! If you don't ban it, then I will. I'll destroy all the nets I see in the water. I'm done here.' I walked to the stairs, I was tired and stressed out.
     'Hiccup! You are not in charge here! I'll consider it, ok?' I turned around.
     'I'm gonna sleep.' Hopefully dad was convinced and otherwise it would, well, get very cozy tomorrow morning. Cozy, meaning a lot of shouting. And yelling. You know, the good stuff.