collapse

My dad ran towards me when he saw I had returned. 'You are so incredibly lucky. I see you have a guest? I'm not gonna ask if your negotiations went well since they wouldn't anyway, this confirms it. Who is it?'
    'I'm pretty sure this is the highest ranking captain, or you could call it a warchief I guess. He was isolated and well, it was his axe vs toothless so he didn't have much of a chance. I'll bring him to Isabelle. After that we can interrogate him.'
     'You are so lucky.'
     'A little, yes, but it's not easy to catch a nightfury. If the artillery arrives we just fly away. I wouldn't put my dragon in danger if I didn't have to. Isn't that right bud?' I rubbed Toothless on his head.
     Dad shook his head and went back to chopping a tree. I brought the captain to Isabelle and after doing that I searched for Astrid and Emil.
     I asked Emil's parents where was, they said he was upstairs. I opened the door to his room. Emil was sitting on his bed reading a book. He looked up.
     'O, hey.' He said softly.
     'I just wanted to check up on you. Your parents said you probably weren't sleeping so..'
     'That's kind of you, where were you by the way? Nobody knew.'
     'Uhm, n-othing special.' I lied. The problem is, I'm not good at it. Emil gave me a suspicious look.
     'Right, are u sure?' Emil asked.
     'Anyway, how are you feeling?' I said.
     'I'm fine, just tired. It might take some days to fully recover.'
     'I hope you will recover soon. What book are you reading?' I asked
     'Basically a ripoff of the great book of dragons. I figured I should know about dragons since I'm living in a village with dragons in every corner.'
     'Hmm, you think so?'
     'Yeah, maybe not. Look, have you ever seen this dragon?' Emil asked. I sat down next to him.         'The screaming Death. So scary.'
     'Oh that lovely dragon, yeah I've seen him. It was véry exciting.'
     'Here it says it's extremely dangerous and hostile.'
     'That's another way to put it.' I said. 'I hope I never have to come across one ever again, but don't worry, they don't live near Berk.'
     I looked sideways to make eye contact and so did Emil. We were sitting quite close to each other, so it became pretty awkward quickly. Emil smiled and looked away.
     'Thank you for checking up on me. You should show your soft side more often, you don't always have to be a strong leader.'
     'What? I..' I stood up and walked in front of him.
     'Don't deny. The last days must have been rough for you too. It's okay if you wanna talk about it.'
     'Where does this suddenly come from? You never were like this before.'
     'And you have never been through so much shit before. I can see you are stressed, your fingers are shaking lightly. No need to fake it but if you stand on it...'
     I looked at my fingers and realized what he said was true. I was stressed, I just tried to ignore it. 'I guess you are right. I need some rest too, but I'm afraid I can't.'
     'Because the village will starve in a few days?'
     'So you figured that out.'
     'It isn't that difficult. Just please make sure not to push yourself over the edge.'
     'What? As if I have a choice. Our village is starving. I can't let that happen. What is good for me is not important.' My voice broke.
     'Don't be like that. If you are too harsh on yourself, you will collapse. If that happens, then you actually failed. You need to find a balance. In a day we can help as well.'
     'Are you sure? You really think I can rest, because if you lie...' All the stress and fear came to bubble up. Not only my fingers were shaking, but my hands were shaking too.
     'I'm sure. Go home. We will help you tomorrow. We have time.' For a second I got taken away, but with the war coming, we didn't have time.
     'No we don't.' A tear ran over my cheek.
     'Yes, we do, we can help...'
     'War is coming Emil!' I cried. 'If we don't get food now we will have to get food while being flooded with a rain of burning stones, just like that sea of those damn fireworms! But now, we don't have time. We don't have anything!' Emil opened his mouth but shut it, being dazzled by the doom scenario I just had revealed.
I looked away and tried to gain control over my breathing, to prevent tears from falling down my cheeks, to clear my thoughts and regain control, but when I felt Emil's hand on my shoulder, a crack was created in the dams that I had raised to keep the emotions out of my mind. A tear formed in my eyes.
     'Calm down...' Emil said softly.
     I can't, just let me cry.
     I turned around and hugged Emil. The dam shattered. Tears started flowing, my hands shaking, but I kept silent. I wanted to say that I was sorry, but I wasn't physically nor mentally able to. I felt Emil place his hands gently on my back. I gasped for air and closed my eyes, hoping that it would fix my breathing, fix everything, but as I breathed out the only thing I felt was panic, stress, rage and fear.
     Emil tightened his grip slightly. I regained some control over my thoughts. One side of me wanted to pull off, faking that I was fine again. The other wanted to cry for an hour inside of his arms.
     Eventually I took a step back, looking at the ground. I slowly looked up making eye contact. Emil smiled softly, but it didn't calm me down. The only thing I could think of was what he saw in my eyes, me, completely broken down. I swiftly looked away before making eye contact again. I wanted to say thanks but I couldn't. I turned around and ran through the door.
     Toothless made a concerned sound and stared me in the eyes when I walked out of the house. 'Please,' I took a long breath, 'bring me to my bed.'