Chapter 25

Amira's POV

     I let out a shaky breath as I stood infront of people present in the festival with the other participants, waiting for the result. The nervous feeling resulted me in zoning out that I don't even know if I'm losing my poise or not. That was until I saw Moon walking towards the throne room along with the Emperor. 

   I looked down the floor and bowed with the other contestants to greet them. I could not look at her straight in the eyes. After finding out that she's soon to be married, such thought dragged me into the pit of sadness.

   The administrators and hosts have finally made up their results and I'm pretty sure everyone is holding their breaths as much as I do.

One by one, each maidens were called upon as I hope and prayed for mine to be called too.

   Two slots remained and I could already taste the spark of failure all the way from here. I glanced at Moon who has already put up the usual emotionless face making it hard for me to read what could possibly be in her mind.

  Was she disappointed? Did she saw this coming?

  "Countess Catherine and......" The administrator flipped the page,

.

.

.

"Lady Amira."

My eyes literally popped out of my sockets. ME?! I GOT IN!!

I stood beside the Countess eagerly but still with baffled mind. I really got in!

   I turned to look at Gabriella who had the look of satisfaction playing across her face. Out of the thirty participants, only ten got in and I am still shocked how I happen to get in knowing that most of those who got in are trained solely for the lineup and some have participated in Pageantry that represented the country before.

   Yet despite of the joyous news, whispers have reached my ears from those who had questioned the results.

  "I refuse to accept!" Suddenly, one of the Marquis from Dendivon has expressed his disagreement, earning all of us a baffled look.

  Her Highness Moon immediately stood up and demanded for the Marquis to step forward.

  "I beg your pardon, Marquis?" Her brows met as she faced him with an unamused expression.

   "Your Imperial Majesty, I refuse to accept that my daughter, Harriet has not been chosen for the second line up." He spoke. I gasped and glanced back at his daughter who was crying for not getting in.

  "Are you questioning the administrator's choice?" She asked with crossed arms. Suddenly, the atmosphere turned solemn as people whispered to each other.

  "I am saying that a woman with a child is not fit for the position when there are other participants who are deserving for the spot." People gasped as they looked at each other.

  I balled my hand into a fist as I felt my heart clenched.

  "Marquis Victor... What on earth do you mean?" Moon's brow furrowed as she stood up and step down from her throne to meet him.

  Though he looks intimidated by her presence, he looks just as desperate.

  "With all due respect Your Imperial Highness, give chances to other people who spent their teenage years in training to be a concubine for your liking instead of giving chances for a widowed commoner." His eyes shifted to me and people gasped in shock hearing the revelation.

  I bit the insides of my cheeks, feeling the humiliation they try to bestow upon me. People started to whisper to each other as they start agreeing to the Marquis words.