eleven. scary stories

011.

SCARY
STORIES

: ̗̀➛

The rain fell, and their bodies escaped the warm sanctum that was Jacobs car freezing droplets searing away at Alena's skin.

As ever Jacobs toothy grin encouraged her to enjoy the moment despite the driving rain surrounding them.

As she longed to stare at his ever present smile she noticed one of her own began to lay itself again her lips, both relishing in the freedom of mother nature.

A desolate beach awaited them, scraps of driftwood lay scattered and discarded against the sand. Tumultuous waves caressing the edges of the shore line as the wind blew them forward.

She began picturing her childhood here, days of sunlight and laughter careening of adoration weeks spent basking in the companionship of Jacob. Sometimes even Bella made her way down following Charlie's lead. Summers of reminiscent happiness and a morbid hopefulness.

Her mind wandered the beach, she could imagine it now ; two young children running and screaming with joy momentarily splashing one another with icy water.

The days seemed never ending, like her life would be one long stretch of summer days spent here at this very beach.

"What are you thinking?" Jacobs question broke her from this backtrack. Staring at her from hooded eyes, the question reminding her of the one person she longed to forget.

"When we were young, and we'd spend the whole summer down here."

"Oh yeah and the time I dared you to get in, surprise surprise you did before you got stuck and couldn't make your way back out and then I -" the humour he used when he spoke of this quite frankly traumatic memory, made Alena pull a face.

"Ok we do not speak of that, I buried that memory deep in my subconscious. I was absolutely petrified of the water after that."

He chuckled at her serious tone, when in reality all it took was him to go in and grab her. She smiled now reflecting back on the unnecessary fear for such a harmless panic.

"They were the best days, those days you spent down here with us." a soft affectionate voice replaced his incessant mocking. She realised they were surprisingly close, much closer than she intended.

"They were perfect." she muttered back not wanting to dredge up the one thing neither of them were willing to reminisce upon.

"So the gossip, anyone in town take your fancy?" he nudged her arm in a teasing way encouraging her to truly open up.

"Really Jake? We're going to talk boys now, you really have changed."

His eyes conveyed nothing but general curiosity, even at her lack of willingness towards the subject.

"Well I have been hanging out with Edward Cullen a little bit, he's nice."

When in fact she was missing multiple highly crucial details from this false narrative.

Taken aback, he stifled beside her seeming uncomfortable now at the mention of him not expecting that for an answer.

"Oh I see that's a bit of a surprise I must say. Have you spoken to Bella about this?"

"I mean spoken is not really the word I would use, shouted across the cafeteria at me about how I shouldn't go near him is more of an accurate depiction."

He hummed in response clearly evaluating the dexterity of her answering, him not siding with Alena now made her the uncomfy one.

"Alena you know I trust your judgment, but I agree with Bella."

"What do you mean?"

Maybe now she would get the answers she was so yearning for.

"He's seems like a good guy and all, but after what happened with Bella she was so hurt and I just couldn't get my head around how someone who said he loved her could do something like that."

A pleading sorrow came into his eyes permeating Alena's own defensive look of agitation.

"I understand all of that but there must be two sides to the story, has anyone even tried talking to him and asking why it went down the way it did?"

"Alena I know your one for fair treatment but just this once leave it be, leave him be. It's no use I don't want you tangled up in that crap."

They stopped moving now and she looked into the deep irises of his eyes, looking for that familiar hope that once cascaded through them all those summers ago.

"Jacob tell me the truth, please." A desperation seeped from her voice, etching into his will.

"Fine but you mustn't tell a soul. So there are stories Quileute legends that date back hundreds of years, mind you these are stories our fathers told us to sleep. I don't believe any of it, but I want to warn you nonetheless from what I've heard some legends are our only truths."

Alena nodded encouragingly, almost imploring him to continue.

"So apparently our people are descended from wolves. Crazy I know, but anyway the legend says the wolves have one enemy - the cold ones."

A knowing glance creeped upon his face as if he was surveying her own ambivalent stare for reassurance. Her face remained curious as his words re hashed and he continued.

"Now the cold ones lived here long ago and our grandfathers made a treaty, entailing that they can live here so as long as they don't kill and don't step foot on Quileute land. We've been amongst them for centuries and now we sense they've returned and the tribes changing."

Now she stared at the boy in front of her coddled with confusion.

"So your saying that Edward Cullen has something to do with these "cold ones" and that's why I need to stay away." Her fingers danced about with inverted commas emphasising the absurdity of it.

"I know it sounds crazy and I probably sound insane. It could just be a scary story we were told as kids Alena but for your safety I think it's for the best."

"But Jacob they moved here a year ago, how can they be the same people."

His eyes grew wary and unwilling to communicate much more on this.

"Or they just moved back."

She stared askew processing what any of this meant, if any of it even permeated the surface of being true.

A forlorn look crossed both their faces and as if they read each other's minds, instinctively their limbs began making their way back to his car.

No words were ushered on the matter beyond this point there was a silent understanding to leave the stories laying there encased beneath the sand.

Her head lulled against the condensation ridden window, and watched as the beach marked with scary stories slowly began retreating into the distance.