XXXVIII

Finally, after having changed from your costume into your normal clothes and having removed the sticky make-up from your face, you exited your dressing room with your bag slung over your shoulder. Wading your way through the busy people running from here to there like little mice proved to be quite a hard challenge if you didn't want to bump into anyone; but eventually, you managed to make your way to the front plaza of the theatre hall. The cold night air felt simultaneously relieving yet it burned your nostrils and lungs at first. The fleeting light from the lamp posts on the main street illuminated the crowd, and you managed to make out a couple of familiar faces.

A lot of people, visitors and even actors, were still lingering outside, talking and gushing about today's marvellous performance; compliments were thrown out and about. (E/c) eyes wandering across the vast crowd, you eventually managed to spot two teens standing not too far away from your current location at the building's entrance. A smile decorating your lips, you made your way over to the teens.

"That was an amazing date!" the girl exclaimed, her blue eyes sparkling under the dim lights. She leant forward to press a loving kiss onto his cheek. "Your mom was simply amazing, James— the whole play was so dreamlike... and yet so tragic."

Chuckling, he playfully rolled his eyes. "It wasn't that sad."

James' response evoked a scoff from his girlfriend. "I saw you cry, darling," she muttered, a heinous grin on her rosy lips.

A little gasp escaped his lips at her provocative comment. "O-Okay, maybe you mistook me for someone else—" he stuttered out, causing Lily to laugh even more.

"The play was sad enough to make James shed a manly tear?" you mused, all out of a sudden appearing behind them. You swore James almost jumped up a whole metre because you startled him that much. Shooting Lily a teasing grin, you joined in on the mocking. "He didn't even cry during the prologue of Pixar's 'Up', making me think there seriously was something wrong with him..."

"Mom!" James' eyes were aflame as he protested valiantly against your joined efforts to tease him.

Patting his head affectionately, you shot him an innocent look. "It's alright to cry, James. I still don't understand why men refuse to acknowledge they can cry..." Crossing his arms, he couldn't believe his own mother would mock him just like that. His adorable action only caused the opposite of the reaction he wanted though; a little squeal escaped your lips in adoration. A comfortable silence followed after that. Simply enjoying the atmosphere the dimly lit lights and the polite chattering in the background created, you stood in a little circle.

"(Y/n), you were simply amazing!" Lily suddenly gushed with wide eyes, causing you a little bit off-guard. Shooting her a grateful smile, you bowed playfully yet with a graceful move to your limbs.

"Ah, thank you very much, Lily. I appreciate that!"

Nodding eagerly, she continued, "Honestly, you looked like a professional actress! Tell me, you actually remind me of someone I've seen in a movie before—" That got you panicking.

The smile on your lips turned into an anxious frown, and your laughter adapted more of a nervous tone. "Ah, I am but an amateur." Waving your hands around, you laughed her theories off. She shot you a confused look at your adamancy, but simply played it off as extensive humbleness. "But that's really nice of you to say, Lily."

She shrugged. "If you say so—"

The girl was interrupted by a voice exclaiming from behind you, "Lily, there you are." At first, you were glad that someone had come to change the topic before it could further get out of hand, but upon recognising whom that silky voice belonged to, you were frozen. Hairs standing up on your neck, you watched with a horror-stricken face as a familiar man stepped next to you, his hand slightly brushing against yours for a short second. Unconsciously, you jolted away.