XXIV

About an hour had passed since Matthew had walked away from you, quietly acknowledging your request and perhaps accepting his fate. He had left you in silence — a silence you so utterly feared yet appreciated at the same time.

You felt free but lost. There was some sparkle of inner regret remaining in your soul, but it was all overshadowed by your doubtless heart. It was pounding and threatening to jump out of your ribcage. Your lungs tightened and loosened again; you exhaled loudly and raggedly. All sorrows seemed to be swept off your shoulders, leaving you to feel like a weightless feather that was off to simply drift around in the frivolous wind.

James seemed not to like the noise you created too much; his eyebrows furrowed in annoyance at every squeak your chair produced or every tap your finger against your thigh created. You shut up immediately upon noticing his unspoken request for you. You leant back into the cheap chair and let your head rest in your neck. Your excitement calmed down and eventually vanished, only leaving fear and dread for what was about to come.

With a soft sigh, you realised: You and James had nowhere to go.

The feeling of being utterly lost in this cold and giant world washed over you. At least James was here with you to keep the loneliness at bay. Speaking of your son, he was still soundly asleep in the large hospital bed. None of the worries plaguing you could reach him in his state of slumber — for which you were incredibly grateful.

You didn't want him to suffer. If you could, you'd suffer and endure everything in his place. To see him hurt like this broke your fragile heart. "Mommy loves you James..." you whispered softly and averted your intense gaze from his relaxed face.

Then, your phone vibrated.

You jumped in your seat at the noise and the wave of vibration that swept over your body, stemming from the left pocket of the (F/c) jacket you wore. Clumsily, you fished the rectangular device out and pressed the button on the side to turn it on. The screen lit up, and its brightness started to sear your sensitive eyes.

1 new message.

You furrowed your eyebrows in wonder from whom the message could be and what it was about.

Ethan ♡:

Hey cupcake

Are you alright? There are articles everywhere about you and James.

You couldn't help but not know how to react to your childhood friend's message. Embarrassment and appreciation for his worry flooded your veins. Unexplainably, the thought of him worrying and caring made your heart beat quicker in an instant. Your heart's fluttering caused your guilt levels to spike up.

An exhausted breath escaped your lungs while you sank back into your chair. Your hand with your phone still in it turned limp and sank into your lap. Closing your eyes, you tried to sort our your conflicting feelings.

And then — without having even waited for a response on your part — Ethan seemed to have sent another message.

Ethan ♡:

You know, my door is always open for you. You're always welcome here.

A smile appeared on your lips. Quickly, you turned your phone off and stuffed it back into your jacket.