VI

"How many times do I have to tell you his name isn't James, (Y/n)! John— John!" the director yelled at the top of his lungs, causing you to flinch and shrink back into your velvety seat out of fear and embarrassment. You had hoped to keep your professionalism up, but keeping private and business matters separate was harder than you thought. After seconds of tense silence passed, you dared to look up at the director again. "Doesn't matter... doesn't matter... I'm sorry for screaming at you, darling! Let's just retake the scene — for the fourth time."

"Thank you, Edward." You were glad that he was so understanding of your mistakes.

The tired assistant scurried in front of the still running camera. Clapperboard in hand, he lazily opened his mouth again to announce, "Scene 25, Take 4."

"Acti—"

"E-Excuse me, sir director," a female worker called out, thus interrupting the flamboyant man in the middle of his word. Weaving her way through the sparse crowd of her co-workers, she tried her best not to stumble over her own shaky feet. Upon being interrupted, the director's head snapped around; his wrath was wholly focused on the poor woman.

"You dare to interrupt me?" he yelled, quite annoyed that things went worse than usual.

"I'm so, so sorry, but there's someone who arrived—" the woman spluttered out, trying to not die from the invisible daggers her boss shot at her. She was but a mere messenger; too bad the messengers always got the worst treatment.

The eccentric male scoffed, waving his hand around dismissively. Assistant Adams ducked right in time before the wildly gesturing male's hand could his face. "Who dares to interrupt me—"

"Matthew Arcanum," a deep voice spoke coolly, not affected in the slightest by the director's striking rudeness. The voice's owner soon strode through the main entrance, where he had been waiting in the shadows. Upon recognising the name, the director's back immediately straightened and all annoyance on his face disappeared in an instant. With wide eyes, you watched as your husband stepped over to the director with a charming smile. "I'm sorry to interrupt, sir."

"A-Ah, no need to worry! All is forgiven!" The director jumped up from his chair with a slight swing to his movements. With an overly enthusiastic smile on his long face, he wrapped an arm around the visitor's shoulder. Matthew cringed slightly as folds and wrinkles appeared on his grey suit, but didn't bother to voice his concerns. "It's such an honour to meet you, Mr. Arcanum! All the things I've heard about you! You're the best in the agency industry. Arcanum Corp. is home to all relevant celebrities these days!"

"Ah thank you, kind sir." A genuine smile appeared on his lips, causing a few women to swoon here and there. He really appreciated the director's little pick-me-up, especially now that things weren't going too well for him and his business. Your hands clenched into fists, almost ripping out the insides of the couch.

"But well, I don't think you're here for me, right?" the director asked playfully, a little chortle escaping his pale lips. Matthew hummed softly in confirmation, his blue eyes darting around the studio until his gaze fell onto the stage where you currently sat. The director followed his line of vision and then, a limelight suddenly lit up above his head ironically. "Ah, you're here for your wife?"

"Yes, (Y/n) forgot her phone at home today—" he explained, his eyes solely trained on you. You shot him a rather cold and empty smile, knowing that you had to maintain your public image. The director's gaze darted from you to him — forth and back. His eyebrows furrowed slightly once he realised something in your communication seemed... broken. "I came to bring it over."

You stayed silent and shot him a nod.

"Why don't you stay and watch?" the director suggested happily, his hopeful eyes staring holes into the side of Matthew's turned head. The male furrowed his eyebrows slightly, realising that there really was a lot of paperwork he had to finish. But upon remembering that he wanted to spend this special day with his family only, he complied with a restless mind.