Chapter 44

[Recap: Veer and Ravi have a fight. Veer tries to hide the matter from Rani, but ultimately fails to do so. Rani is still worried about Veer. Veer leaves for Ballia but at the same time falls prey to Ravi-Chandan's plan].

Rani's slumber was disturbed by the sharp rapping of knuckles on the wooden door.

She got down the bed and walked up to the main door of their house.

"Kaun hai?", Rani asked while unbolting the door.

She stared in wonder at the figure in front of her.

It was dark outside so the person's face wasn't visible. On top of that it was raining cats and dogs.

But before she could attempt to guess who it was...

The person came a few steps forward allowing the light shining inside the house, to fall on his face.

"Dactersaab!", Rani called out as soon as she recognised Veer.

Veer spread his arms and without another thought, she ran towards him and hugged him with all her strength.

Veer had to step back due to the sudden jerk
but eventually reciprocated the hug.

The darkness, the rain, the rumbling thunder- nothing bothered them at this point.

They didn't know for how long they stayed in that position.
They were simply lost in each other's embrace.

"Rani", Veer called her out softly, breaking the hug.

Rani looked up at Veer and rested her hands on his chest. 

Her hair had been plastered around her face by the rain. He removed them one by one and kissed her forehead affectionately.

Rani: aap knaha thhe dactersaab...itna waqt k..kyu lagaya aapne a..ane mai... Aapko pa..ta hai hum kabse aapka intejaar kr rhe thhe...

Rani finally spoke, breaking the ice.
Her quavering voice revealed that she was crying.

Veer: Boht intezaar karwaya na maine aapko?... par kya karta mai Rani... Jitna aapke paas aane ki koshish kr rha thha utna hi durr kheencha chala Jaa rha thha...

Rani: ab aap wapis aagaye hai na dactersaab... Ab sab thik ho jayega...hum aapko humse dur kahi naahi jaane denge..

Rani said clasping his hands tightly.

Rani: aap phir humme chorke naahi jayenge na ?

Veer did not reply.

Rani: bataiye Dactersaab aap chup kaahe hai? Naahi jayenge na aap?

This time Veer slowly spoke while separating his hand from hers.

Veer: Mujhe maaf kardijiye Rani...par mujhe Jana hoga... Aapse durr...bohot durr...

Rani: Naahi....hum aapko kahi naahi jaane denge...

She said trying to grip back his hand.

Veer: Mujhe jana hoga Rani ...

He said stepping back.

Rani: naahi....

Rani started sobbing.
Her feet had frozen in their place...she couldn't move...she couldn't reach out to him.

Rani: Dactersaab.... naahi ...mat jaiye dactersaab...

She kept sobbing and calling him out as Veer started to disappear in the darkness.

Rani: DACTERSAAB!

Rani screamed as loudly as possible and hurriedly sat up. 

She was sweating.
Her heart was throbbing in her chest.