Chapter 23: Grole, The Red Giant

"How much longer will we arrive? We've been walking for hours now" Joseph whined in exhaustion as the other teens were whining the same thing in their heads.

It has been almost 2 hours since Ryan and his friends, along with an unconscious Sirius, journeyed deep within the forest with Echo's guide, who they placed in a hostage situation, and are now suspecting him of misleading them.

"He's probably misleading us for an ambush," Manny muttered with an audible voice from behind the group, carrying the unconscious Sirius with the help of Joseph's strength while he held the poisoned arrow in his hand, in case Sirius woke up.

"You think so?" Asked Joseph next to him.

"It's the only logical solution, there's no way their hideout is this far" Replied the white-haired male as Echo remained silent despite hearing everything they are talking about.

"He's not misleading us, trust me" Ryan suddenly spoke, walking right behind Echo as they slowly went up a steep slope.

"What makes you so sure to trust him? Manny could be right" Josie defended Manny's assumption until Ryan replied with a flat voice.

"I don't trust him as well, but he knows too well that if he ever tried something to deceive us then there is nothing stopping me from plunging that arrow deep within his Ally's throat. Am I right... Echo?"

Echo felt Ryan's death glare right towards the back of his head, it was his first time feeling restless and nervous from a human like Ryan. He gulped as a response which made Manny stand corrected in his assumption until they reached the top of the slope.

The trees surrounding them blocked the light of the noon sun. A calm breeze was felt blowing from the west which made all of them feel relaxed and refreshed despite feeling hungry and exhausted. As they made their way deeper, Echo suddenly shouted for them to stop on their tracks. The teens were confused before Ryan asked what's going on.

"What's wrong?"

"I think... I've made a wrong turn..." Echo spoke with a low voice, hiding his embarrassment.

"Wait what does he mean?" Asked Wendy.

"He means we're lost" Manny replied, making what Echo spoke clearer. Joseph let out a loud exhausted sigh before complaining.

"Are you kidding me?! We've been walking forever and you got us lost?! What kind of mercenary are you?!"

"I'm what they refer to as... The Weak Link" Echo calmly replied before Wendy and Josie collapsed on the ground and savored their first-ever rest since they started their venture.

Hitomi, despite looking like she had no endurance, was calm and relaxed as a sleeping dog, the same goes for Ryan and Manny.

"Alright then, let's take a short rest then start walking after that" Ryan announced.

"Finally! Manny guard this Male-Neko" Said Joseph as he gave Manny the unconscious cat-like human to Manny's responsibility.

"A male what?" Asked Manny in slight annoyance.

"A male cat, come on dude" Joseph replied.

"We are not cats..." Echo muttered in response to Joseph's offensive words but he kept that voice on the down-low.

"Cat ears? Cat tail? You're not convincing anyone, especially an otaku like me" Joseph replied.

Hoping to find a good place to relax with a good refreshing breeze, he walked towards a tree stump with a dozen of fallen leaves around its area a small distance away from the group, wanting to finally get the rest he deserves, the chubby male blindly walked towards the stump, walking like a ragdoll who was just brought to life.