Chapter 44: The Crusade Continues

A woman used a newspaper to keep her head dry while going back to her home after getting groceries before it started to rain. She fell into a puddle, not noticing it before hand as she had to let the newspaper go to save her bag off goods.

"Come in here where it's warm, Mommy," The woman heard a man say to her. She turned while looking up into the dark entrance to a building that was on her left and saw a man with circular glasses.

"No. Please," The woman pleaded as the man grabbed her shoulder, making her drop her bag. The man placed a hand on her neck to keep her quiet and pulled her back.

"I need you, Mommy. Talk soft and make me feel safe," The man told her as he then took out a knife.

Suddenly, a blue gloved hand smashed through the glass window of the door and grabbed the hand with the knife before pulling the man through the window with his other arm.

The man screamed and when the woman got back up she looked into the building. But saw nothing there as a large bolt of lightning shot over the city.

In a different part of Gotham, a taxi had pulled under a street lamp as the driver decided to start reading a small book he had with him.

The door to the cab opened and a woman was shoved inside as the man spoke. "Get your ass in the car. We're taking a ride."

"Please. Not the face," She said to the man as she cried.

"You're painting me, Joannie. You're messing with my livelihood," The man told her as he pulled out a switch blade.

"Hey, man, take it somewhere else. I just had the seats cleaned," The driver explained.

"Shut your hairy face and drive," The man told him, shoving a wad of paper bills at him, which the driver took. "Dog-eat-dog world, I guess."

Joannie screamed.

"Look, Joannie, you went and grew a new nostril," The man commented to her as he did unsayable things to her with the knife. The taxi driver did nothing as he counted his newly acquired funds.

A large thud was then heard by the three as something landed onto the roof of the taxi, shaking it.

"What the hell was that?" The driver asked.

"Something's on the roof," The man told him. "Someone thinks they're gonna mess with me?" He lowered the window and pointed a pistol out of it.

A blue booted foot smashed down onto the hand as the pistol fell to the wet ground and the woman screamed.