The Rescue Mission

Kakashi laid Chiisai down on the interrogation table. Beside him, Inoichi stood, studying Chiisai.

It had been five minutes since he had left the restaurant. Two minutes since he had walked into the interrogation office and demanded to see Inoichi. One minute since he had explained to him the situation.

And still, Chiisai wouldn't wake up.

"Lady Hokage informed me a little yesterday," Inoichi said. "So she really has dream abilities?"

Kakashi nodded. "Can you wake her up?"

"Depends," he replied. "I've never worked with abilities like hers. And from what you explained, if she's in some sort of dream world, I might not be able to contact her. And her chakra is another matter."

Kakashi did his best to maintain his composure. She had been out longer than last time, and his anxiety was only increasing. "Can you get me inside of her mind?"

Inoichi hesitated, but then nodded, meeting his gaze. "Yes, but such a thing is rarely done. The danger-"

Kakashi dragged a chair beside the table. It screeched against the cement floor. "I don't care about the danger," he said. "I need her awake."

Inoichi's voice was hard. "If my hand leaves either one of your all's heads before the time runs out, you may be lost in each other's body. If you become trapped somehow before time runs out, you'll be lost as well. Are you willing to risk it?"

Kakashi nodded without hesitation. There was no time for a debate. "How much time do we have?"

"Three minutes. After that, I'll transfer you back, if I can get to you." He paused, and then added, "Should we inform Lady Tsunade?"

"After this." Kakashi sat down in the chair and leaned his head back. There was no need to worry the Hokage yet.

Inoichi sighed and said, "You may feel some discomfort."

Kakashi closed his eye as Inoichi made several hand signs. Then he placed his hand on Kakashi's forehead.

There was a moment of weightlessness.

And then he found himself crashing into solid ground. It was a field of purple irises, and it expanded beyond his eyesight. He turned, and in the distance, saw Chiisai sitting by herself, surrounded by flowers, with a kunai pointed to her chest. Beside her was an empty space, and the flowers crushed, as if someone had been sitting there.

He stepped forward, reaching his hand out, when she plunged the weapon into herself.

"Chiisai!" He said.

She turned, her eyes wide. Blood gushed from the wound, a bright contrast to her clothes. She staggered to her feet, immediately healing the hole in her side. "What...what are you doing here?" She squeezed her eyes shut, fighting back the pain evident on her face.

He jogged up to her. Her chakra was nowhere to be seen. He studied her face, and her reddened nose, and the tears that had yet to dry. "You passed out, and I was worried." He glanced around the area and asked, "What happened?"

She frowned and extended her hand. "How do I know you're you?"

Kakashi stopped, and realized it would make sense for her to think that. "You think I'm your chakra trying to kill you?"

"Possibly." She crossed her arms and asked, "What were we doing before I passed out?"

"Trying to convince Asuma and Kurenai that we weren't dating," he said. "We were at Yakiniku Q. We split the short rib and beef tips, with a side of eggplant and braised potatoes."