Kakashi's Trap

She tensed, and she was quick to reply, "I mean, not just you. Everyone."

Kakashi sighed and rubbed his hand over his masked face. He had just uncovered a retired spy with a special ability hidden in the heart of the village. She had no means of protection, and seemed to care a great deal about the village, if she wasn't acting. What other secrets was she keeping from him? And why did the Third keep her under such wraps?

Though her power appeared quite strong, her last memory didn't bode well. Seals were meant to withhold power, and Lord Hiruzen had deemed it wise enough to restrict Chiisai's chakra.

He said, "Have you had contact with Itachi Uchiha since the massacre?"

"What?" She glared up at him, winced, and added, "Of course not- he's a traitor!"

There was no hint of a lie, and she appeared angry at the mere suggestion of their connection. That was promising, at least.

"Why did the Third seal you? And why does no one know of you?"

She pressed her arms against the restraints and raised her head. In a heat of anger, she yelled, "Do you know how much my head freaking hurts right now? I can barely think, and it hurts to breathe, and my brain feels like it's about to explode! So please put a pause on your limitless curiosity!"

Kakashi blinked in surprise. It was rare to have an adult use such a tone with him (Team Seven, on the other hand, was a different matter), and he finally studied her.

Her chest rose and fell quickly, and when she had glared at him long enough, she collapsed back in the bed with a groan. "I don't want this," she muttered. "This wasn't supposed to happen."

Her body was tense, and sweating under the blankets piled on. Her wrists were red and raw from the friction against the velcro, and her face was a mess of bruises and bandages. There were dark circles under her eyes, and her expression was that of pain and hunger and exhaustion, as if she had already been tortured and interrogated by Ibiki himself.

Her eyes were glossy and wet, and Kakashi realized that he had broken six years of Chiisai's normalcy. He had dismantled her entire identity as a citizen in less than a day, turning her entire world upside down. She wasn't dumb, so she knew what was going to happen next.

A meeting with the Hokage. Reports, information on her seal- Chiisai knew what power her abilities would provide the Leaf, and it looked like she wanted no part of it, as if she were already mourning her future.

There was a knock on the door. Kaori walked in and glanced between the two of them. The silence was heavy with tension, and she paused.

"Oh," she said, "hello Kakashi. Was I interrupting?"

"Hey Kaori," he waved and relaxed his shoulders. He tried to dismantle the atmosphere by replying, "Not at all. How's our patient?"

Chiisai glared at him as Kaori set her clipboard down. Kaori smiled, glanced at the balloons,  and replied, "Her tests all came back relatively well, considering her injuries. The concussion she'll have to watch, of course, to see if the symptoms worsen. Now we just have to see if she can stand."

Chiisai's dark eyes lit up for the first time today. "You're...untying me?"

"Yep," Kaori replied. She pulled off the blankets and undid the binds. Her shoulders hunched as she whispered, "Please don't try to leave again."

Chiisai faintly nodded.

Kaori took hold of Chiisai's hand and gently helped her into a sitting position. Chiisai grunted and rocked forward, holding her head. Kakashi sensed that the next few days of his life would be more trouble than it was worth.