♣︎13

Jimin sat in his small office. He wasn't doing anything spectacular, just went about his business organizing papers. He stared at the clock as it counted down the minutes to him getting out of work.

"Do you wanna go out to get drinks with us?" one of his coworkers asked.

Jimin nodded with a shy smile "Yeah, I'd be more than happy to!"

"Don't you have to run it by your partner first?" the man chuckled. Jimin glanced down at the ring that sat on his left hand.

He gave a shy smile "I'm sure they'll be fine" he chuckled. His coworker walked away, laughing a bit. Jimin fidgeted with the ring, biting his lip nervously. Jimin shook his head and tightened his fist to stop his nervousness.

Taehyung had already been gone for over three years, the restaurant flourished in America so his father asked him to stay there even longer. Jimin had heard nothing but how amazing Kim Taehyung was doing while he was trying to get his shit figured out from his mistake. He and Jungkook had split ways after the younger got a boyfriend and moved in with them. Jimin was left to his own, meaning he got a new job and made changes in his life. That involved this ring as well.

"Everyone ready?" the head director of the department shouted. Everyone cheered, Jimin packed all of his things and followed his chattering coworkers.

An arm slipped around his shoulder "So, when are you gonna invite your partner out to one of these things?" his coworker smiled, knowing exactly what he was doing.

Jimin shrugged him off "They don't like outings like this. They prefer to stay home and mind their own business," he glanced back with a dirty look "Unlike some people" Jimin walked away without another word. He was tired of being harassed by his coworker. Every day he made a snide remark about Jimin never bringing his partner to company dinners or outings when everyone else did.

The truth was, Jimin didn't have anyone at home. He only wore the ring so people would leave him alone.

He was still waiting for Taehyung.

Jimin sighed and took off his coat. He followed behind everyone as they all talked amongst themselves on their way to the bar. The department always went to a small bar a few doors down from the one Namjoon owned. Jimin hadn't seen him since Taehyung left.

The group crowded into the small building and started ordering their drinks and food. Jimin didn't want to think tonight, all he wanted to do was forget everything. Every day was the same thing. He hated it all. In the back of his mind, he knew Taehyung was never coming back. He chugged his first beer, slamming it on the table.

"That's the spirit!" one of the girls yelled, following in Jimin's footsteps.

Before they knew it, the entire group was trashed. Jimin and the women were all chatting and laughing.

"I'm sure your wife wouldn't like that very much" the coworker from before commenting. His words were slurred, he took another drink from the beer he held. Jimin ignored the man.

"I'm gonna go out and smoke" Jimin stood up and walked outside. The cool air nipped at Jimin's nose. He lit the cigarette and inhaled.

The door to the bar opened and stumbled out was his coworker. He smiled as he made his way to Jimin.

"I bet you think you have everyone here fooled" he got into Jimin's face. His breath reeked of alcohol.

Jimin furrowed his brows "I don't know what the hell you're going on about" he took another drag of his cigarette.

His coworker leaned in even closer "You're too pretty, I bet you're gay~"

"Fuck off" Jimin spat.

"Is that why you wear that ring? So no one knows you're gay?" his coworker started to feel up Jimin's waist.

Jimin burst out laughing "Fuck, you're clueless" he glared at the man "Or maybe you're just slow. But, I'm almost positive everyone in this office knows I'm gay" he shoved him away.

The man blushed, feeling humiliated "I doubt you're married to anyone though" he tried to get close to Jimin once again "Anyone can see that ring is fake."

"It's no one's business why I wear this ring" Jimin nervously spoke "It's no one's business whether I'm married or not."

"It's my business."

Jimin put out his cigarette "No, it's not."

The man grabbed Jimin and pinned him against the wall "It is because I've been wanting to get a taste of you since you started working here"

Jimin shoved him away "You're disgusting" he went to walk away when his coworker grabbed him again.

"Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" his coworker growled. Jimin felt himself get yanked away, he was suddenly standing behind a towering figure.

"I'd prefer if you didn't touch him like that."

Jimin froze when he heard the familiar voice. He reached out like a small child and gripped the man's Jacket.

"M-Mr. Kim? I'm so-so sorry" the coworker bowed and scurried away.

Everything was silent. Jimin was finally starting to feel the alcohol kick in. It was like a train slammed his body. He felt a gentle hand grab his own. He looked up.

"T-Taehyung..."

"Congratulations" Taehyung played with the ring on Jimin's finger. The silence was suffocating. Jimin felt like he was drowning. How was he supposed to tell Taehyung the whole reason he was wearing this fake ring was because of him? He promised he would wait for him.

"No, Tae-"

"It was good seeing you, you should get back inside before you catch a cold" Taehyung pulled away and started walking.

"Wait! When did you get back?" Jimin asked. Desperation in his voice.

Taehyung refused to turn back around and look at the older "Take care, Jimin."

Did you guys miss me 🥺 jk I know I've been gone and have not updated in a while. But One Night should be back on schedule starting this week! I hope you guys will stick with me till the end of this story <3

-love, vann