Chapter 13. 1820

Over the next several weeks, William adapted very easily to his new home and surroundings. .Julian and Elizabeth adopted him into their family, and he was now Lord William Anthony Howard. James and Diana, and was happy to have a brother and sister to play with.

James and Dianne I couldn't believe they had a new brother to play with. They told him that they had two more siblings that would be coming in another month, and they would be a family of seven. The three of them played together all the time, dancing and laughing and having fun adventures together.

Julian and Elizabeth couldn't believe they had three children, with two more on the way. They never believed in a lifetime that they would have the family that they did. They felt blessed and fortunate to have each other and their children. They were grateful that George hadn't bothered them again after that night.

Towards the middle of May, Elizabeth was resting in bed during her confinement. Her back was hurting just a little, but aside from that, she wasn't feeling any other discomfort. She loved feeling the babies move inside her, even though they did kick her ribs a few times. She was anxious for the two of them to arrive, wanting to hold them and see them. She was hoping for a boy and a girl, but the genders didn't matter to her or to Julian. Noticing Margaret poking her head into the room, she gave her a soft smile. "Good morning Margaret."

Margaret smiled back. "Good morning your grace, I do hope you're well."

Elizabeth. "I am doing very well, thank you."

Margaret smiled again before walking over to the curtain and allowing the morning sunlight to stream through the room.  It was the morning of May 15, and the sun was bright and brilliant. Once the curtains were Open, she moved towards her mistresses closet, sliding the doors open to reveal her clothing options. "Would you like something a little less constricting?"

Elizabeth was about to reply, but then felt very familiar sharp pain cascade through her body. She gasped, her hand cradling her abdomen. "Margaret, I do believe we can skip the clothing options."

Margaret world around to look at her, her eyes going wide. "Your grace, do you mean...?"

Elizabeth. "My pains have started."

***

As the next eight hours came and went, Julian was a mess in his office. He couldn't bear Elizabeth screaming in pain, but knew he couldn't do anything about it except wait. He had gone through this exact situation before with Lillian, but that had ended tragically. He shook his head, this wouldn't go the same way. He continued pacing back-and-forth across the floor of his office for another 20 minutes until he heard the sound of two babies crying.  He stopped his movement just as his office door swung open, and Margaret poked her head into the room.

Julian. "How is Elizabeth?"

Margaret. "She's tired, but doing very well. No complications to her or the baby."

Julian exhaled with relief before following Margaret into the birthing chamber. His eyes overflowed with tears as he came to sit down beside Elizabeth who is holding a pair of bundles against her breast. He brushed his lips against hers for a soft kiss. "They are perfect my love."

Elizabeth smiled tiredly, but her eyes were glowing. "They certainly are my darling."

Julian. "What do we have?"

Elizabeth smiled even brighter. "Say hello to  Gregory Charles Howard and Penelope Katherine Howard."

Julian was beaming from ear to ear as he smiled down at Gregory and Penelope. Five children, five beautiful children. He couldn't believe his fortune. He brushed his lips against his son and daughter's tiny heads, marveling at their beauty. He was a proud father to three sons and two beautiful daughters. He had an exquisite wife who he loved with all of his heart. They were a family.