Chapter 7. 1815

Five days later, in the early morning hours of March 2, Julian and Elizabeth prepared for their departure to Gretna Green for their wedding. Both were excited at the prospect of becoming husband and wife, and a little anxious to have it be done quickly so that no scandal would arise. George hadn't bothered Elizabeth after that day, which was a relief to both of them. They could finally be at peace and be happy. No one was going to come between them and their family again.

Elizabeth couldn't help but smile at her reflection that was sparkling like diamonds in the gold framed mirror in her chamber. The gown she was wearing was simple but beautiful. It was composed of cream silk, had off the shoulder sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. Ivory lace decorated the neckline and gloves. The train stretched out 3 feet behind her, and her veil was composed of chiffon. Her hair was fixed into an elegant chignon with two curls dangling at the bottom. A diamond teardrop necklace and matching earrings completed her ensemble.

Margaret smiled at her. "You look lovely your grace."

Elizabeth returned her smile. "Thank you Margaret. I cannot believe I'm going to be the Duchess of Suffolk by the end of today. And that Diana is going to become Julian's daughter."

Margaret. "And I cannot believe I'm going to become your lady in waiting by the end of today."

The two women giggled before stepping out of the chamber and making their way downstairs. Entering the parlor, they noticed Julian and Robert waiting for them by the front door.

Julian was wearing a three piece suit of black silk with a cream button up shirt and matching cravat. Black boots completed his ensemble, as well as a small round diamond brooch on his breast pocket. His hair was neatly combed and his eyes were bright. He smiled brilliantly at his fiancé, not able to believe how beautiful she was. She was much more radiant than Lillian.  After that day, he was no longer going to be alone. He was going to have a wife and a daughter to call his own. He was going to have a family.

Elizabeth couldn't believe how handsome Julian was. He was much more – and then George. Returning his smile, she moved towards him, placing her hand into his.  She couldn't believe that this man before her was going to be her husband and the father to her daughter. She was going to have a family, a family that was going to love her unconditionally.

Julian brought her against him for a gentle squeeze. "You look beautiful my love."

Elizabeth squeezed him back. "Thank you my dear, and you look very handsome."

Julian. "Thank you. Are you ready to become the Duchess of Suffolk?"

Elizabeth. "I am most certainly ready."

Exchanging a quick kiss when Robert and Margaret weren't looking, the two of them exited Suffolk Manor and climbed into the carriage that was waiting for them. Settling inside, they began the journey from Mayfair to Gretna Green. They knew that, by the end of the day, their hearts would be bound together for all of eternity. They would be one unit, husband and wife. They would have two children to love and adore for the remainder of their days. They would no longer feel pain or loneliness.  They would only feel immense joy and pleasure.

***

Two hours after arriving to Gretna Green, Julian and Elizabeth were standing together in front of the minister at a small gazebo that was covered with white and pink roses. They held hands as the minister spoke of holy matrimony, of love and unity. Their eyes held and they smiled at each other, love and adoration flowing between them.

The minister turned his attention to Julian. "Do you take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife?"

Julian. "I do."

Satisfied with his answer, the minister turned his attention to Elizabeth. "Do you take this man to be your lawful wedded husband?"

Elizabeth. "I do."

The minister then turned his attention to Margaret and Robert. "Do either one of you have any objections to this union?"

Margaret and Robert shook their heads immediately. Neither of them had any objections to the union before them.

Satisfied, the minister turned his attention back to Julian and Elizabeth. "Then by the power given to me by the Holy Spirit, I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Julian and Elizabeth exchanged a sweet and tender kiss, which was followed by a few more. They held one another tightly, briefly ignoring the fact that they weren't alone. After a few moments, they came away from one another, their eyes sparkling. At last, they were together.