Chapter 2. 1814

His voice was so soft, so tender and gentle. nothing like George Parker's voice, which had been yelling at her, chastising her, not two days prior. Elizabeth felt a sense of peace as she absorbed the gentleman's  words. He was going to take care of her. Not just her, but Diana as well. Instinctively, she reached down and picked up her two day old daughter, holding her against her breast.

The gentleman gave her a gentle smile. "I promise, you are both going to be safe with me. I won't let any harm come to either of you."

Even though she didn't know this gentleman, Elizabeth realized that she could trust him. He was the one who brought her and Diana out of that storm not 15 minutes ago. He was promising to keep them safe and out of harms way. She felt her shoulders relax, and she gave him a timid smile. "Thank you very much."

The gentleman squeezed her hand gently. "You're very welcome. What is your name?"

Elizabeth brought  Diana to her breast to begin nursing her. "Elizabeth Parker, and this is my daughter Diana."

The gentleman smiled. "Pleasure to meet you, I am Julian Howard, the Duke of Suffolk."

Elizabeth returned his smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you your grace, I must repay you for your kindness."

Julian shook his head. "No, you don't need to do any such thing. All I ask is that you rest so you can feel better. Take as much time as you need to be in bed, I'll have my staff attend to you and your daughter. If you would like, Diana can stay in the nursery with my son James."

Elizabeth. "That's very kind of you your grace, but I don't wish to intrude on you and your wife."

Julian felt his heart squeeze, and he swallowed hard. "You're not intruding. My wife died a year ago during childbirth."

Elizabeth gasped. "I'm so sorry your grace. What was the cause of her death?"

Julian took a breath. "Placenta previa, she was able to deliver James but the doctors couldn't stop the bleeding."

Elizabeth. "I know that feeling all too well. I nearly Lost my life during childbirth. Diana was in the wrong position, and it took 19 hours for her to be born."

Julian. "But both of you are here now and that's all that matters."

Elizabeth. "And it also matters that James is alive and thriving."

Julian. "Indeed he is. Well, I won't trouble you anymore for the night, I'll let you get some rest. Please don't hesitate to send for anyone, myself included, if you should need anything."

Elizabeth. "Thank you very much for your grace."

Julian smiled before rising to his feet and starting to walk towards the door. And then he paused, turning around to look at her. "Should I write to your husband?"

Elizabeth swallowed hard, shaking her head. "No, there's no need. My husband doesn't even care about me or Diana. He's a very wealthy gentleman whose intentions for marrying me were only to produce a male heir. And because I have failed him, as far as he's concerned, he has left me for another woman who already has three sons from a previous marriage."

Julian felt his blood simmer with rage. He knew George Parker well, the bloody bastard. How could someone be so cruel as to abandon their wife and daughter for another woman, simply because she had sons? He shook his head. "All right, I do believe your husband, former husband, doesn't need to know of your whereabouts. As of tonight, you and Diana are going to stay with me."

Elizabeth. "Thank you your grace. You have no idea how much I appreciate what you have done for me and my daughter."

Julian smiled gently. "It's the least I can do. Now get some rest, I'll come and check on you in a few hours."

Elizabeth watched him step out of the chamber, and immediately felt her eyes overflow with tears as she gazed down at Diana. The two of them were safe, away from George and his terrible demeanor. Away from his yelling and shouting. They were far away from his cruel hands and words. Diana was never going to know the cruelty of her father, only love and compassion from the Duke of Suffolk. And as for Eleanor, she was going to receive nothing but love kindness and compassion from the Duke. She brought her lips to Diana's cheek, brushing them with a soft kiss. At last, they had found their safe haven.