-18-

--Sunday December 18th-

"Hey Nat, can I ask you something?" Matteo asks, sitting on one of the island stools. Right now I am making pizzelle. I have gotten way behind with my baking, as I've been spending way too much time doing schoolwork and working at the restaurant. I've also been spending more time with Rafael. At least this week is the last week of school before winter break.

"Sure what's up."

"I was thinking..."

"That's dangerous."

"Nat! Let me talk!" Matteo whines.

"Fine, continue."

"As I was saying... I was thinking, could you make dessert for Rafael's party? I asked mom and dad and they said we could host a surprise party for Rafael on Tuesday since it's his birthday as long as nothing illegal happens and everyone was gone by 10 o'clock."

"Sure who's coming?"

"His family, us, some of our calcio team, Amara, Gabby, and I think that's about it."

"Alright. After I make this pizzelle, I'll work on stuff for his party. Better do it today than tomorrow. Knowing teachers, they are going to give a ton of tests and projects before break. I already have a huge photography project due on Thursday. And then he's assigning another one for when we come back from the break. Anyway, yeah, I can make him a cake and his favorite cookies."

"What are his favorite cookies? And what type of cake?" Matteo asks.

"Favorite cookies are fudge, oatmeal raisin, and sugar cookies. But I'm already doing the sugar cookies for Christmas eve so I'll just do oatmeal raisin and fudge. Then his favorite cake is chocolate cheesecake."

"How do you know all that?" He asks skeptically.

"Come on, Matteo, I've been baking desserts for everyone's parties since I came here. Plus, he's my boyfriend. I mean, I know your favorite cake is red velvet, Gabby's is strawberry cheesecake, Bella's is chocolate and strawberry, Amara's is vanilla and raspberry, and Rafael's is chocolate cheesecake with caramel and pretzel crust." I respond, rolling my eyes.

"Does he know your favorite?"

"Probably not. I just know everyone's by heart because of parties and dessert showdown. Do you even know my favorite cake?"

"No..." Matteo sighs.

"See, I don't think Gabby and Amara even know. I mean, I like all desserts, so really it's hard for me to even pick a favorite."

"True. Thanks for helping with the party! And one last thing, can you keep him away from the house till 4. Maybe go on a date or something after school?"

"Sure. We were planning to work on our photography project together on Monday. I can just push it to Tuesday. Let me just text him after I take these pizzelle out." I lift the iron and take out the two pizzelle. I then take my phone out of my apron's pocket.

Can we move our photography session to Tuesday after school? Something came up on Monday.

Rafael: Yeah, ummm, sure, that's fine. Not like I was doing anything, anyway.

Thanks! Sorry I have to help my aunt at the restaurant. Most of her workers are college students and some went home for break. Only the highschool ones are left. Which is only like 4 servers, me, Matteo, Arlo, and a sophomore named Aurora who goes to some private school.

Rafael: Yeah, it's no problem.

"Alright done." I say, putting my phone away. "Now is that all that you needed?"