Chapter 26

I liked when Elio played with me, because we're 4 years apart in age, so he wasn't always interested in playing with me. Especially if I wanted to do barbies or something. But that Nintendo on his birthday, we played for half the night and I felt cool. I remember that. A smile played on my lips at the thought of 12 year old Elio with a glint in his eye you rarely ever saw. Now he's 28, a strong man, a veteran, a successful businessman, a criminal mobster, lots of muscle, facial hair, same chestnut brow mop and muted green eyes, but the glint is different.

It's there right now, but not in childlike wonderment. I think it's his ease about life now. Even if he's facing hard times at 'work' he has his life together the way he wants it. He's matured so much from that young angry boy who wanted to exercise in his bedroom so he could beat up dad if he hurt me again.

        I ended up catching eyes with my brother and he studied my face for a second, almost like he knew my mind had gone off somewhere. Then he waved me over so I stood up. I went to the end of the table where he sat waiting to see why he called me over. "This piece has the most frosting," he winked at me, handing me a slice. I smiled. "I put extra for you anyway, so every slice has the most," I whispered back. He chuckled. 

"Thanks for this, littles, it was a good idea. I needed a chill night like this," he actually gave me a second little side hug, which he doesn't do often.

The 8 year old Mia in me feels cool because her big brother wants to hang out with her. Because her big brother saved her the best piece of cake. I can't wait to show him my birthday gift. It kind of fits tonight's mood perfectly. Maybe he'll remember that birthday too.

        Elio took a bite of the cake and hummed in satisfaction. "This is my favorite kind. Beats store bought every time," he told Tatum who was also taking his first bite. "Dang Mia, why didn't you bake for us at the shop when you worked with us?" he started to tease me. "Excuse me, you made fun of my outfits. If I wore this outfit AND baked for you...I'd be the laughing stalk of the shop," I smirked. Cam and Poppy started cracking up.

"To be fair, I said we liked your little outfits. You were our fashionista manager girl. People asked where you went after you left, so you made a lasting impression" he assured me. "Oh lovely," I tipped my fork to him before taking another bite into my mouth.

-

        Time sort of passed that way for a while until Elio was looking down at his phone and saying, "Oh!" We all looked over. "Some friends of mine are coming to my club to hang out tonight for my birthday. You all should come," he looked at Poppy then Tatum. "Dom's club?" Tatum asked for clarification. "Yeah," Elio said without thinking about it. Then recognition came over his expression. 

"Oh dude, that was so long ago. He's nuts, but it's an impulse. He's over it by now," he assured him. Tatum shrugged and looked at the girls to see what they thought. "We'd have to go home and change really quickly, but I'd be down," Poppy shrugged. Cam second that.

Elio's eyes came over to me. I didn't know what to say.

"Mm, do I wanna see your boring ass friends," Sophia stepped in for me. I tried chuckling and agreeing with her. "Oh, if you guys don't wanna go we obviously aren't gonna crash Elio's thing with his friends," Poppy started backing out. Elio touched her arm for no reason other than to flirt and assured her she wouldn't be crashing anything.

       "She's coming, right Mia?" Elio asked me since I hadn't said anything the first time. "Um, you guys should definitely go," I looked around at everyone, not specifying if I was going along with them. They don't need to know. They'll forget all about me once they go to the VIP room and start partying with everyone. Elio kind of gave me a funny look like he was picking up on how I was acting. I forced a smile to my lips and looked down at Sophia opposite to where he was. "Yeah, I guess let's go guys," Cam was the decider.