Chapter 3

I had four goodbye dinners and two and a half days to have them. I wasn't sure how that was gonna work out. The girls, Louise and them, wanted to have a big going away thing so that'll probably be its own thing. Cynthia Dupont and Celine wanted to host a dinner for me, which sounded like an event of its own. Simon wanted to take me out for a kind goodbye. We'd become good friends since working together that first month I was here in Paris.

The last person who wanted to take me out was Julien, but he wasn't saying bye because he too is flying to America. When I called him out, he said he wanted to help me wish Paris a fashionable au revoir, which made me laugh. We're going to dress up and he'll take me to his 'secret spot' that has a magnificent view of the Eiffel tower. It'll be lit up nicely for the evening.

I had to make compromises if all this was going to work out within my few days left. 

        This is how I managed my time. I figured the girls wouldn't mind having a big lunch instead of dinner. I explained my situation and they don't do shit with their time anyway. They don't work. They're like Sophia. They wanted to do the fabulous champagne, and all that. I agreed so long as I'm out of there by 7pm, to make it to dinner at 8 with my boss and the interns.

On my second and final night, I'll have dinner with Simon, and drinks with Julien later in the evening. Of course I had two separate outfits for the occasion. Different people, different vibes. And also just an excuse to dress up more than I need to. I can't help myself, even though everything's packed except for these outfits and my travel clothes. I have it waiting for me on the chair outside my room.

It's like some weird haunting reminder of this strange countdown I've been subconsciously doing.

-

        With the girls and me it makes five. I think it was Vanessa that made a reservation at this trendy place they frequent. We wanted champagne, so the reservation was mostly to guarantee that we'd get everything we wanted. Since in Europe they usually eat much later than Americans. I can't have a heavy meal if I'm going to make it to dinner tonight.

Of course we're all dressed fashionable and feeling sentimental. We were in a perfect circle at the round table reserved for us at the restaurant. Clara, the blonde with a French Political father, wearing her silver slip dress. Vanessa, the other blonde with her Monroe beauty mark. The craziest of the girls, in her two piece blazer and trousers. Amelia, our short haired brunette, with big brown eyes and a chic green dress. And of course, Lousie, the lovely girl in a dress similar to mine. Hers burgundy, mine a dusty blue color.

And that's the group. Girls with similar, large personalities. Self assured rich girls. Flirty, funny girls. 

        "You know, Mia, when we first met you, you were a little more reserved than you are now. I think it looks good on you," Clara told me mid cheers. "Oh! Oh! Let's all make speeches," Amelia exclaimed. I told them it wasn't necessary, but when do they ever listen to me? They don't. Clara started us off since she was already saying a few words to me. Miss blondie number two- Sophia being number one even if she isn't here- held up her flute. She stood, even though I was mortified in the middle of a restaurant.

        "As I was saying, you came to us a shy American girl, and you will be leaving us a sluty French woman," she teased me. We all laughed and I covered my face in embarrassment. It only made them laugh more. "Santé" she did the informal version of cheers with us. We all tapped glasses and responded 'tchin tchin' which I've heard them use before. It's the very shortened version of a proper French cheer, which isn't actually saying that word, but instead wishing good health on a person.

        Amelia stood next since it was her idea to do this in the first place. "I think I speak for all of us when I say you will be missed, my friend. You and Sophia must return to us sometimes for a reunion. But I also want to say that you'll be signing my napkin tonight, so that when you become famous I can hang it on my wall," she teased me like the others love to. It made me smile. Sometimes they act so sure that I'll be famous. "I will sign your napkin," I promised her.