Chapter 23: A Meeting?

Dear readers,

Sorry about the short chapter. I'm saving the next bit for next time. I'm not going to post a picture of Volkov because I think the description is pretty thorough. Thanks for reading,

flygirl1

__________________________________________________________________

About an hour after Kat left, Fury called a meeting for those who were going on the mission the next day. They met up in the same briefing room they had been in the first day.

He scanned the group before him. "Kat's missing," he stated.

"Um... yeah," Dian muttered. "She, um, left to... uh..."

"Clear her thoughs," Nova finished. He looked over at her thankfully.

Director Fury nodded, unconvinced. "Is that so? Now, can anyone tell me where she really is, because I really don't believe you."

Leroy raised his hand like a neat and tidy schoolboy. "She left because the others were antagonizing her and... well, overwhelmed her. We don't know when she'll be back, but she left about an hour ago."

"You'd know," Freya whispered. Nani, who sat beside her, giggled softly.

Brendan rolled his eyes and picked at his cuticles. "You called us here for what reason?" he asked the Director.

"Agent Coors," Fury snapped. Brendan sat up at the mention of his last name; the name he had abandoned long ago. "You will sit up properly as I explain what is going on. I would prefer to have Kat with us as she is an important asset to the team."

"Yeah, yeah. I'm here." They all swiveled in their chairs to see Kat leaning against the door frame, sweaty, and angry. "What's going on? Another private meeting?"

Fury shook his head. "No. I was looking for you, but I now realize you were... out."

She nodded and sat down in a chair. "So, what are we talking about?"

"The mission." Fury motioned to a screen, which had a picture of a man on it.

The man was tall and skinny, almost like a stick. He had no meat on his bones, and his skin stretched over his body to the point of looking malnourished. His thin brown hair looked greasy enough to fry an entire vat of french fries at McDonalds. Or, in other words, disgusting.

His eyes were hazel, with brown and green swirling into each other. His features would have looked handsome had they not been so pronounced from his gauntness. His thinly arched eyebrows made him look mischevious and, in short, evil.

His nose was straight, but had one long white scar running from the bridge down to his lip. His lips were thin and pale pink, curving into a menacing smile.

He looked devious... and dangerous.

"This is Alexei Volkov. He is one of the two Viper spies we managed to catch during a raid a few months ago."

"What about him?" asked Brendan.

Director Fury turned to face us and with a grave expression, he said, "This man was not only a spy, but one of the five leaders of Viper. Using... special methods, we managed to figure out where their Headquarters are, and how to get in."

I wonder how they did that... "Where is it?" Kat asked. And how do you know so much about the inner workings of Viper?

"Limerick, Ireland."

Nova sat straight up. "Wait, you mean we get to go to Ireland? Sweet!"

"Cool," said Freya, showing very little excitement.

"I thought we were going to Florida?" Nani asked.

"It turns out the spies knew we were tracking them and went to the wrong place." He changed the subject quickly. "So, anyway, today, we're going to bring in Volkov to... speak with you."

The entire team went cold and stiff.

Leroy was the first to talk. "Excuse me? Th-The leader of V-v-viper is coming t-to talk w-with us?"

"Yes. He should be arriving in... about two minutes." Fury smiled tightly at the group, who were practically shaking in their suits.

This cannot end well, Kat thought.