Chapter 11: Someone's Hungry

Before she even walked into the dining hall, Kat could smell the food cooking. It was incredible. Back home, the most extravagant food she had cooked was an omelette with cheese, meat, and some vegetables.

They must have had gourmet chefs cooking all the meals. Inhaling all the scents, Kat followed her team into a huge room. There were large, round tables scattered around the room, seating about ten at each. There were snow-white table cloths on each one and plates, cups and cutlery already set out.

On the ceiling were lights. Not the blue fluorescent lights like in all the hallways, but bright, kind of yellowed lights. They were implanted at regular intervals over each of the tables.

Kat watched as her team walked around the edge of the room and sat down at a table in the far right corner. She walked behind them and stopped when the looked down at the table. She looked down with them and saw little name tags sitting on each of the plates.

Nova... Anahi... Scanning the table for her own name, Kat found it right in the middle of the pack. She sat down next to Leroy and Nani. Leroy, who was on her left, was sitting next to Dian, who sat next to Nova. On Kat's right, Nani sat next to Brendan, who was beside Freya.

Kat looked around and saw lots of other men and women seated at their tables. There were waiter-looking men and women traversing the maze of tables and chairs near them, black trays on their hands and arms, delivering food. Kat could see the food as it was being handed down: eggs, meat and fruit, all delicious looking and delicious smelling.

A small woman with a french braid walked over to them ,a white apron tied around her waist. "Hey guys. Today, we're doing something a little different. Instead of the buffet we usually do, we're going to be having a formal meal day. Which means we deliver the food to you."

"What's the occasion?" Nova asked.

The woman smiled. "Today is Agent Agnes's birthday. All of this is a surprise though. She doesn't know anything about it. Agent Maurice wanted to throw her a surprise birthday, so today, we're going to be giving everyone menus with three different options. Just to make it easier on our chefs. There are too many agents to have twenty different options. It would be way to difficult. Oh, and later tonight, we're going to have a ball thrown in Agnes's honor. It'll be fantastic."

"Speaking of options, what are the breakfast options?" Dian asked. He glanced at his menu then put it down like it was too much effort to read it.

"We have scrambled eggs with toast, two pieces of sausage, assorted fruits and a drink of your choice. We also have an omelette with ham, cheese, green onion, pepper and other vegetables. Along with that we have toast, fruit salad and a drink of your choice. Lastly, we have pancakes with eggs made your way, bacon, a fruit smoothie--the fruit can be requested-- and a drink of your choice," the woman recited.

She must have had to memorize the entire menu in case someone asked her these questions.

Nova nodded. "Can we order now?"

"Of course. Go ahead. What can I get you?" The woman nodded and got a pad and pen out as she spoke.

"I'll get the omelette," Nova replied quickly.

"Alright..." The woman asked Nova some more questions like "What kind of bread do you want?" and "What would you like to drink?"

The woman did this for all of the teens. As soon as she got everyone's orders, she smiled and took off, tearing off the paper and sticking it up so the chefs could see.

Kat's stomach grumbled. She hadn't eaten since the day before she got kidnapped; she was starving.

"Someone's hungry," Nova joked. Kat just glared. Nova held her hands up in surrender. "Sorry. It was just a joke."

"Yes, well when you only eat because you steal, being hungry isn't funny anymore," Kat snapped.

No one spoke for a moment. Then Dian said, "So. Did any of you hear that loud crash last night? It sounded like something broke."

Freya snuck Nova a glance. "Yeah. We heard it too. We went out looking to see what had made the noise, and it turned out someone broke a computer in the Control Room."

Kat's cheeks went pink. "Really? I wonder how that happened..."

"Yeah. I wonder," Nani mumbled, taking a sip of the complimentary water they were given.

Sneaking into Nova's mind, Kat heard her thoughts. Kat makes it look like she didn't do it. I know she did. After all, as soon as we touched the doorknob, she disappeared. I'll find her out eventually...

Kat shuddered. She knew it was wrong to dig into her new friend's mind, but she had to know if anyone had any ill will towards her. That way, if anyone tried to plan anything, she would know and avoid it.

After all, it wasn't the first time someone had caught her sneaking around...

________________________________________________________

Dear readers,

The picture at the top is Brendan.

-flygirl1