〔 Chapter 26 〕

<<CHAPTER 26>>

Run.

Run after her.

Why am I running?

He saw Monaca up ahead with the bear.

Oh yeah.

I'm chasing her.

...why?

Her short green hair. Green eyes. Unfazed.

What has life done to her?

She kept running. He kept running. And so is the other teen girl -in front- with a megaphone. She seems determined to get her. She knows Monaca, but not much as he does.

Because she's his sister. She has to be.

"M-Monaca!" Rantaro panted as he struggled to keep up.

"Hey, Mr... uh," the female with the megaphone spoke up while running.

"Rantaro Amami."

"Right! Rantaro!" The female exclaimed. "I'm Komaru Naegi! And... what are you doing?"

"I'm going after her. Seems you are doing the same too."

Komaru slowed her pace until she was right next to Rantaro. "I'm going after her since she was with Junko Enoshima. And... we've met before in Towa City."

"'Towa City?'"

"Long story! You should know where that is right? It's literally in ruins right now since Junko's crazy bears caused the destruction..." Komaru was running, but Rantaro could see her chin quiver. She wiped her tears off with her arm. "Poor people..."

"..."

"What about you? You shouldn't really chase her for no reason, right?"

"... just a reaction. I see her and ran after her. I can't really say why, however."

"Ah. Well, leave this to me! I can manage-"

"No thanks. I'd rather go after her than get ambushed by Monokumas."

"Fair."

"I came here because I thought you would need help," a voice said from behind them. Komaru nearly dropped her megaphone by the sudden voice, and Rantaro wasn't bothered, but he did slow down a bit.

"Harukawa-San," Komaru gasped. "Hello!"

"How'd you know who I am?"

"I'm friends with Kyoko Kirigiri and she told me some things about your organization. Turns out you're the top 1 subject when it comes to your group!"

"Gee, thanks," Maki rolled her eyes as she ran in front.

"Damn you're fast," Rantaro whistled.

"I'm an assassin, that's what I do; run like the demon is chasing us."

"Speaking of which," Komaru interrupted. "...there's a demon behind us."

"What?" Both Maki and Rantaro turned their heads behind them and saw a silhouette running in their direction. It was about Ryoma's height, and looked like it was a bear.

"Oh. Of course," Komaru sighed. "Another Monokuma arrived. AMAZING!"

There was a hint of sarcasm on the last part.

She turned around, still running, and fired a ball at the Monokuma clone. It exploded into pieces. "Woohoo! Busted another Monokuma!"

"This isn't a game," Maki scoffed.

"It's a game," Komaru shot back before she saw Monaca in the distance. "Guys, look!"

"Monaca!" Rantaro called out once more, but he received no answer.

"Amami-kun," Maki said. "She's literally a mile away from us."

"Yeah, just realized."

"...she's your sister, isn't she?" Maki asked. Rantaro was silent. How did she know?

"If you're thinking how I knew," Maki continued. "...I remembered you saying in the beginning of the school year something about your missing sisters. And Tsumugi told both Shuichi and I about their status."

Rantaro stayed silent.

"...all except one had died."

"Oh..." Komaru mumbled. "Poor girls... I'm sorry for your losses."

"It can't be true," Rantaro slowly stopped running. "My sisters can't be dead."

"It's true. And they are. All except one," Maki stopped before walking back to him. "Look, it's the truth. And while it still hurts to know, you've gotta face it and learn to accept."

"...I expected so. The Despairs are horribly merciless," Rantaro wiped his eyes. He's totally not gonna cry. Not today. He needs to keep up his act.

Komaru noticed Monaca was not moving and is just standing. "Monaca says you've been chasing me for a while. Why won't you give up?"

"Monaca," Komaru slowly whispered as she hesitantly took a step forward. Monaca immediately turned around, and Komaru took a step back in surprise.

"Monaca wants to be left alone," Monaca continued to say with a smile. "So leave me alone."

"No, I can't." Komaru shook her head.

"There is no one forcing you to get me but that detective Kirigiri," Monaca says. "You shouldn't let her force you to get me."

"But she has a good reason for me to get you. That's why I'm doing it."

"Because I'm Junko's kid? Upupupu! Hilarious!" Monaca giggled. Rantaro stared at her until she noticed his gaze. She frowned. "But Mister here looks quite familiar. Have we met before?"

"Probably did," Rantaro muttered. Monaca shines up. "I heard you're my brother! Aren't that right?"

Rantaro shook his head. "I'm not really your brother if you claim to say you're Junko Enoshima's 'kid,'" he said. Monaca's grin faltered a bit.

"Is it okay for me to say that your sisters are actually killed?"

"..."

"It's despairful, yes! I saw the get ripped limb by limb! Nope, they did not get their limbs ripped," Monaca added the last part. "They just got pierced by our Monokumas!"

"Ew," Komaru shuddered at the image forming in her mind. "It's gross and horrifying to picture in my mind..."

"Monaca sees Brother a couple minutes ago before Mommy got arrested," Monaca twirled around, her hair and dress spinning with her. "I got curious. You feel familiar. You look familiar. Your name is familiar."

"Because I could be your brother."

"Maybe!" Monaca turned around, facing away from the trio. "Monaca wants to go. See you later!"

"W-Wait, where are you going?!" Komaru cried out.

"Monaca will do you a favor! See you soon, Brother!" Monaca exclaimed before she was gone.

"...what?" Maki finally said, still behind the two other people. "What favor does she mean?"

"We don't know," Komaru whispered. "We went too far. We should go back."

Rantaro stood there, looking at where Monaca was. "Yeah. Let's... go back."

It was confirmed from Monaca herself; his sisters are announced dead. So he has to find a different dream career for an entirely different reason. He once said earlier that he wanted to be an adventurer so he can try to find his missing sisters, but now that they're dead...

He just doesn't know what to do anymore.

.

.

.