Chapter 29

A smile forms on my face as the warm tea finds its way down my throat. I can't help but let out a little moan.  

"Thank you so much Mrs. Johnson for letting me spend the night in your beautiful home. And for the delicious tea."

Mrs. Johnson looks up from the book she was reading. Her short, gray locks resting peacefully against her cheeks. Her light brown eyes showing warmth, understanding and love all at once.

"Honey, it is my pleasure. You're welcome to stay as long as you need."

I look down to see her old hand rested on my own, making my heart melt. I couldn't find the words to say thank you so I just smiled.

"Alright, Raven. The description of the car you explained to me is a very rare, and expensive car. I tracked down the description, and only two came up. One in Dallas and another in Arlington."

Last night, Officer Johnson told me to give my best description of the car that Aiden was driving. He said maybe if he can find it, he can find Leonardo also. I nod and get up then grab the soft, teal blanket that Mrs. Johnson had knitted for me earlier.

  +++

I rest my chin against my arms as I let my head slightly hang out the open window, letting the breeze whoosh my hair behind me.

"Rae?"

I turn back in. "Yes?"

"There's something else I found out."

Johnson is silent for a while.

"I found Aiden's new cell number. I want you to call him, so I can get a check point on him."

My mouth twitches a little as I think about this newly found information.

"Will it work?"

He looks at me with a slight grin with his eyebrow rising. "It's worth a try. Here. The number is in the glove compartment. You can use my cell phone."

I open the glove compartment and grab the paper that the number is written on and grab the cell phone from the cup holder.

 I let out a deep breath and wait as the ringing goes on the other end until.

"Aiden Mathews."

"U-Um..." Crap. Talk Raven!

"Hello?"

"Hi, Um...Aiden?"

"Rae? Fuck. What do you want?" He whispers.

"I want to talk to you! That's what? I want to know what happened."

"Nothing happened, okay? I just got tired of helping you. Now can you leave me alone?"

Why is he so angry with me?

"No." I argue.

"Shit, I thought after making you Texas' most wanted you'd be off my case, but I guess not." He breathes.

My mouth immediately dries up, and my heart starts beating ten times faster than normal.

"You're the one who did that?"

No answer, all I hear is breathing.

"Aiden!"

"No, my sweet Rae. This isn't your dear Aiden anymore."

Tears are at the edge of my bottom lids and my bottom lip quivers.

"Leo."

Johnson grabs the phone from my hands instantly and starts babbling, probably something important, but I can't hear. Everything Is true. Aiden Is with my uncle and Ariel.

"Are you alright, Rae?"

A tear falls on my jeans, making a small wet stain appear. "I don't know. But I will be."

I use the back of my sweater to wipe my face and sniff. I look at our surroundings and notice that there's nothing here except a small shack in the middle of a whole bunch of grass.

"It looks like some kind of old...farm? Barn? Thing?" I basically ask.

"Yeah, I think you're right. Wait here, baby girl."

My eyes grow wide.

"What? No! I'll come with you. Or shouldn't you have back up? This always happens in movies. The hero goes in thinking he's macho, telling the damsel in distress to stay behind. Only for the damsel in distress to get kidnapped once again, or the hero to get killed or injured. And I'm not willing to go through that bull shit, sir. So I suggest you collect your pride and confidence and let me come with you." I let out a long breath after talking for so long, and Johnson does nothing but look at me dumbfounded and nod slowly.

 "Aye, Aye sir." He says.

I decide to excuse that little comment and stay close to him as he places his hand on the gun in his back pocket. We enter the little barn when immediately hay and the smell of animal feces burn into my nostrils. I put my hand over my nose, my eyes watering.

 "Shit! It smells." I mutter.

"Do you smell that?" He asks.

I shake my head in shock. "Well, yeah! Didn't you hear what I just said?"

"No, not that smell. It's something else..."

I can tell by Officer Johnson's tone that he is dead serious. I try to smell what he's detected but can't seem to smell anything but the putrid odor of feces. I keep following him closely, but trip over some hay.

  I straighten up, collecting all the dirty hay from my tongue, and look at the small scratch now on my knee. I wince in pain as I examine the injury, Johnson rushing to my side.

"Rae! You alright?"

"Yeah, just tripped over some hay over there."

I nod my head in the direction of where I tripped and he walks on over to the area. He quickly stops walking.

  "Sir. Sir? Is everything okay?" I slowly rise up and walk over to where Officer Johnson is standing.

"No, Rae. Stay back..."

"No, I want to see." I push him aside and almost puke at the sight I come to see.

"That son of a bitch is just not going to stop killing." He bends down lower and rubs his finger in the blood rubbing it between his thumb and index finger.

"Rae, this is recent blood, a recent death. We have to get the hell out of here."