Chapter 24

I feel Rae squeeze on my right hand and I look up to smile at me. After cleaning up, she looks like her old self, only her hair had grown slightly longer. I turn back to Officer Johnson.

"So, now you know everything. What do we have to do, Sir?"

He gets up from his seat and makes a grunting noise. He leaves the room, leaving the door open, to go talk to the lady at the desk. I see her nod her head and look our way. When Officer Johnson comes back into the room, he's carrying a small bottle and some fresh linens.

"This is hair dye for the little lady. Those guys are definitely going to searching for you two, so you'll have to change up your look a bit." He places the dye on his desk.

"And these, are fresh clothes. No offence but you guys smell like my great aunt Bob, she always shits in her pants."

" For tonight, just for tonight, you guys are going to have to spend your evening in a cell. Tomorrow we're going to ship you off to Jamaica."

I almost spit out the coffee he had given me earlier. "Jamaica!? To live?"

"Well, yeah. You got anywhere better?"

I had to think for a while before the obvious answer popped into my frying brain.

"Yeah. My mom."

"Where does she live?"

"England. It's the perfect place. No one will look for us there, matter of fact I went there with my dad last mo-"

"You went there...with your dad?" He asks with a raised brow.

"Well...Ye-"

"No. It's out of the question.They're definitely going to look for you there. Matter of fact it's probably the first place they'll travel to. Here are your tickets."

Officer Johnson slams two plane tickets in front of us, and before I could decline once again, Rae picks them up.

"We're in. If this is the only way I can finally have a fucking normal life other than the abuse and the shit I've been having to go through...I'm in. But promise me one thing Officer Johnson..."

"What's that, Baby girl?"

"You put those sons of a bitches behind bars for life."

++++

"Uno."

"You cheated."

"Did not! You just suck at card games!"

After ten rounds of Uno, three rounds of Goldfish and playing patty-cake, Rae and I have decided to just quit. I sit on the cold, cement floor and she lays on the hard mattress.

"So. How's life?" I ask with a big grin.

"It's amazing." I chuckle at her sarcasm. I wonder how things would have been if all of this never happened. What would have happened to her if I never came back from England.

"Tweety?"

"Hmm?" she closes her eyes and tucks her hands underneath her head.

"What do you think would be going on right now? You know if all this never occurred?"

She opens her eyes and slowly sits up cross legged.

"I don't know. Honestly? You'd probably still be with Ariel. I'd still be nobody walking the halls unnoticed."

"I never liked Ariel."

"Then why date her?"

I think about her question. This is the first time I've ever questioned myself or even thought about why I did date Ariel.

"I guess because she was popular and so was I. It seemed like the cliché thing to do."

"Oh."

I feel like there's something I should say, but I don't know what. I look around the cold cell until my eyes land on Rae again

"Nice place for a first date, huh?" I joke.

"Of course. This is my dream date." We both smile at each other.

"There's something I have to tell you Rae."

She belts out a big yawn and closes her eyes. "And what's that?"

I take a deep breath and wipe the sweat forming on my forehead. I open my mouth to talk, but I stop when I hear the slightest snore. I deeply sigh and close my mouth, making a space on the floor for me to sleep.

"I really, really, extremely, excruciatingly like you Rae." I say to myself.