Chapter 28

I walk past an Electronics store with a display of large television sets aligned behind the glass. I stop, not because of the price or the beauty, but because I see someone very familiar.

 Me.

"Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we have breaking news. A seventeen year old girl by the name of Raven McKinley, as known as Rae McKinley, is on the run as the number one most wanted person in Texas. She is very dangerous and a huge threat. If you see her, do not approach, immediately call 911. She has blonde hair, green eyes, and is around 5'5, 5'6. That is all, thank you."

I continue to approach the display as I see a photograph of myself appear on all of the Television screens.

"Hey!"

I turn around to see a little boy tugging on his mother's skirt, pointing in my direction.

"Mommy! Look! It's the lady on the TV."

I start power walking away as the mom turns her head, scorning the boy for not keeping up with her. I just don't understand how I could be the number one most wanted person when I haven't committed a serious crime. I bet it has something to do with Leonardo and Ariel. What am I going to do?

 I snap out of my thoughts when I see bright lights shining in front of me and hear a loud horn.

"What the hell is your problem!? Are you blind?"

I'm in such shock that I can't speak or move. My beating heart is so fast that I'm surprised It hasn't hopped out and ran down the street by now. I hear a car door slam shut and footsteps approach me.

"Hey! I'm talking to you. I-"

I squint to try and make out the face of the person approaching me.    

"Rae?"

My breathing becomes slow and light. I become light headed when I realize who Is standing before me.

"Aiden?"

"What the hell are you doing in the middle of the street? You could get killed."

All nervousness and shock soon finds its way out of my system. Is that all he can say? After disappearing without a trace and leaving me worried for his life?

"I could get killed? That's all you can fucking say, Aiden?! You disappeared with my uncle to God knows where, leaving me fucking dying inside and that's all you can say?!" I exclaim with every bit of frustration.

"What else am I supposed to say?"

"I don't know. Maybe where you went, or why you're driving a car and acting all calm instead of going to the police station." Or kissing me and telling me how much you missed me.

"I don't need to go to the police station, Rae. I'm great. I'm doing fine with Leo and Ariel. As a matter of fact, we're going to Florida next week."

 A convincing smile forms on his face as he twirls his car keys between his fingers.

I eye him up and down, looking at his clean, new outfit. This isn't the same boy that I was with a couple days ago, the boy that had held my hand and had sacrificed his life to save me. The boy who had said he really liked me...

"What did they do to you?"

His face goes blank.

"I don't know what you're talking about. No one did anything to me. I realized that I was wasting my time on a fucking loser who has no worth. Working with Leo guarantees me lots of money in the long run, and with you it's just...a really long, useless run. Plus I can fuck Ariel all day every day. It's a win, win... well, for me anyways. But look on the bright side, at least now you can like run away to Mexico or something since you're on the run."

"How did you-"

"Television, babe."

"Don't call me that you disgusting bastard." I wanted to cry so bad but I didn't have the energy to. I was so tired of crying and running and being shocked.

Aiden throws his hand over his chest. "Oh, that hurt. Bye, Rae."

He spins on his heels and hops back into his car, speeding down the road, making my hair spring in all directions.

I refuse to cry. I refuse to cry. I refuse to cry. I'm officially alone. Again. I start walking to a pay phone. I shut the door behind me and dial in the phone number of the only person I can trust.

"Johnson speaking."

"Hello? Officer Johnson? Could you please pick me up?"

++++

I sit on the curb for about forty-five minutes until I see a car slowly make its way towards me, parking itself close to the sidewalk. The ignition is turned off and out comes Officer Johnson, out of uniform, with a blanket in hand. He runs over towards me and wraps it around me just like before. I can't help but look up at him, tears falling. I jump and throw myself in his warm embrace.

"He betrayed me." I whisper.

Officer Johnson says nothing, he just wraps his arm around my shoulder and leads me towards the passenger side of his car before rushing to his side. He drives off and we stay in a comforting silence. Before I know It, I doze off.