chapter 23

POV: 3rd person
And so Shadow went to the commander's office. It was a heated argument. Tower still wanted to have Sonic put down because it wasn't enough progress and Sonic was still a danger to others,

"But I'm making progress! With more time I can get him to do better." Shadow said, getting annoyed and angry at the commander for not listening to him. "No one else has to be around him, just me. So no one else will be in danger."

"With the little progress you made, he still can't be trusted. How many times has he attacked you? You only went through one day without. You can barely call that progress. We still agree that it is best to put him down." Tower sighed. "I'm sorry, but it is for the best."

Shadow growled and slammed his fists on the table. "I will not stand for this! I will not let you put him down. I will fight you if I must. You have been warned." He snarled angrily then left, slamming the door behind him.

Shadow went straight to the room Sonic was held in, without giving himself time to calm down. The blue hedgehog got startled as the door swung open. He got scared and hid further under the bed. Even if it was Shadow, he looked mad. Donovan hurt him whenever he looked mad. He was scared to be hurt again.

Shadow sat down and leaned against the wall. He huffed and clenched his fists. "Unbelievable." He grumbled. The ebony hedgehog looked over at Sonic when he heard whimpers. He saw a scared hedgehog trembling in fear.

Shadow lay down so the other would be less tense. Though it didn't seem to do anything. Sonic was pressing himself against the wall where the bed was standing against. He was trying to get away from the ebony hedgehog as far as possible.

Shadow wondered what made him suddenly so scared. He will have to look better for the signs which turn Sonic scared or aggressive. "I'm going to stay with you from now on." He reached out to Sonic who hissed at the hand. "What-? I thought we made progress." Shadow said, pulling his hand back. He didn't know what triggered Sonic.

———————————————

Shadow stayed with Sonic, not leaving his side. If he left, they could go to Sonic and put him down. Because the ebony hedgehog didn't leave anyone. Sonic got used to him. He had accepted his presence and opened up more.

Sonic barely went to hide. At times he got scared by flashbacks and then he went to hide. Shadow figured out what triggered Sonic. He didn't like sudden hand movements, making the blue hedgehog become aggressive towards it. He got scared when Shadow showed forms of anger or annoyance. Now knowing what not to do, Sonic bonded with Shadow pretty quick.

"Look who woke up." Shadow sat on the bed. Sonic's head peeped out from under it. The blue hedgehog climbed on the bed and lay down, putting his head on Shadow's lap. The other put his hands up in surprise. Sonic had never done that before.

Shadow put his hand on the other's back and stroked him. Sonic closed his eyes and purred. Shadow's ears perked up. He didn't know Sonic purred, and that hedgehog could even purr.

Sonic was starving for attention and one hand made him happy enough already. Soon, his stomach growled. He looked at Shadow, awaiting food. But the ebony hedgehog didn't leave to get him food. Instead Rouge came by. She knocked on the door and Shadow slightly opened the door and took the food from her.

"How is he?" Rouge asked.

"He's beginning to be touchy."

"Tails, Knuckles, and Espio want to see him. Me too. When do you think that can be done?" Rouge asked, trying to peep in to see Sonic.

Shadow kept her from doing so. He was afraid that if Sonic saw him with someone else, he would distrust again. "Soon, hopefully." He said. "I have a hungry hedgehog to give food to. I will keep you updated." He stepped back and closed the door.

Sonic was already off the bed and was sitting at his feet. He looked up, awaiting food.

"This feels like a pet almost-" Shadow gave Sonic one of the proteïne bars Rouge got him and the blue hedgehog eagerly ate it.