chapter 36

POV: 3rd person
The two shared a passionate kiss. As they pulled away, Shadow kept his arms around the other. "Please, stay with me." He asked the blue hedgehog.

"Not like I can be away from you. I'm glued to your side." Sonic knew he couldn't go without the ebony hedgehog. After such a long time being together, he didn't think he could be away from him for long.

A small smile formed on Shadow's muzzle. He pulled Sonic closer and nuzzled his face in the crook of his neck, planting a little kiss there. "Good. Because I won't be able to let you go again."

"Uhm, did I walk in on something?" Rouge so happened to walk by. The two turned red and pulled away. "Shadow, that's not appropriate behavior towards someone going through trauma."

"Hey Rouge.." Sonic rubbed the back of his head. "I'm fine, now."

The white bat blinked. "Sonic- You're back- This is awesome! We have our blue blur back!" She went over and hugged him. "This is wonderful news! Let's keep it a surprise for the others. They should be here soon anyway. You stay out of trouble till then."

"I will keep him out of trouble." Shadow reached over to hold the blue hedgehog's hand.

"So," Rouge clicked her tongue. "You two are together now?"

The two hedgehogs looked at each other. It's not like they had said they were but since they both had feelings. "I think so?" Sonic replied.

"'I think so?' What kind of answer is that?" Rouge couldn't help but chuckle.

"We haven't asked the other out." Shadow said, not taking his gaze off Sonic. "Sonic," He got the attention of the blue hedgehog. "Would you like to be in a relationship with me?"

"I uhm, I am not sure. I have only just woken up and.. I don't know how to feel about these feelings." Sonic looked away and bit his lip.

"You say you hold feelings. Then why not be with me? We can always break it off." Shadow took his hands. He lifted one and planted a kiss on it.

Sonic looked back at him and blushed. He bit his lip again. "I.. We can try."

"You won't regret it." The ebony hedgehog took a step closer and kissed his new partner. Sonic softly kissed back and his tail gave a subtle wag.

"Immediately going for the kisses, I see?" Rouge chuckled, grinning at the two. "What else can I expect from the two fastest hedgehogs?"

The two ignored her as they continued to kiss. When they pulled away, Shadow rested his forehead against the other's. He then planted a kiss on his forehead.

They went back to team dark's office and waited for the others. Shadow was enjoying a cup of coffee while Sonic sat on his desk, kicking his feet.

It wasn't long before the others arrived. "How is Sonic?" Tails asked as he walked in.

"I am doing well little bro." Sonic smiled at him and hopped off the desk. He chuckled at seeing the others' shocked expressions. "Your faces, priceless."

Tails run up to him and hugged him. He began crying. Sonic hugged him back and rubbed his back. "No need to cry Tails."

"I can't help it. I have missed you so much..!" The young fox held onto his brother tightly.

Knuckles moved over and patted Sonic's back. He gave off a smile. "Good to have you back."

"Glad to be back." Sonic smiled back. Tails let go but stayed close.

"How are you feeling?" Espio asked the blue hedgehog.

"Overwhelmed, to be honest. It felt like I woke up from a dream that ended up being real, giving me a lot of memories of an alternate me." Sonic replied. "I'm sorry for biting and scratching you so much." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"No worries. We hold no grudges." The chameleon said. Knuckles nodded.

They chatted for the next hour. Knuckles and Espio wanted to know what Sonic had been through since they had been separated for months in the base. Though Sonic didn't want to talk about him and the mutants.

Now that Sonic was better, Espio and Knuckles could go on with their lives without having to be worried about Sonic. They no longer had to come by each day.

"When will you be home?" Tails asked. The house felt empty without his big brother.

Sonic wanted to answer but Shadow got to it before him. "He will not be back until Donovan is behind bars. Seeing as he is after Sonic, he will stay here where it is safe."

Tails slowly nodded. He didn't want to lose his brother again so he understood it was better if Sonic stayed safe. "I will wait."

Sonic ruffled the fox's hair on his forehead. "I won't be too long, promise."