Season 2, Company 4.

"It seems like we're back where we came from, Shin!"

Shinra laughed wholeheartedly, a nerdy looking smile on his face as his hand repeatedly slammed against the not-as-sluggish-but-still-sluggish male beside him, who had the most hilarious frown the world had to offer.

"I'm not sure what this captain Hague wanted with us, but I swear... to make me come back to school."

Shin grumbled silently, arms folded as he grimaced at the mere sight of what he had considered in the past as the institute of flames and hell.

For context, under the request of Special Fire Station 4's captain, as well as the head of Special Fire Soldier Training Academy, Captain Hague wanted to hold a meeting with our friendly protagonist Shin, as well as the Adolla Burst boy Shinra.

What seemed to be a friendly reunion was anything but that in Shin's eyes, as he had always had a weird feeling about that old crippled man.

"Captain Obi said that he counts on us, considering how Captain Hague could be a close suspect to the Evangelist. We have to do this, Shin!"

Upon witnessing Shinra's sparkling expression of self proclaimed heroism and that disgusting optimism of him, Shin could only breathe a sigh of relief as his dread was slowly overtaken by the comfort of his friend.

"Whatever, let's just get this over with."

~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Shin, Shinra as well as their escort, who was in fact the lieutenant of Company 4, entered the building, they were greeted with the unpleasing sight and stench of sweaty man undergoing intense training exercise, with an oddly familiar face infront.

"Instructor Pan!"

Shinra's professional demeanor quickly dissolved as the instructor he had spent his time with in the academy had fallen his sight, beckoning a friendly and excited smile from said male.

"It's been quite awhile, Shinra, Shin."

Instructor Pan, or lieutenant Pan as formally addressed, nodded towards the two males' directions nonchalantly, with Shin just nodding back in response.

"What are you doing here, Kusakabe, heck even Hitoka! Bet that toilet company 8 flushed you both out."

A sudden voice could be heard under Shin's feet, and it turned out to be Karin, the jerk with basic black hair and red highlights which he thought looked cool back in the academy days.

Now it's just irritating.

"Karin, a little bug like you managed to stay here without getting flushed down yourself? That's pretty impressive."

"Hah? What did you say, you mother killer!"

Karin the hothead got up from his push-up position, grabbing hold of Shinra's formal robe as if he was ready to throw a punch.

Before Shinra could slam him to the ground, someone had beaten him to it.

That someone was Shin, of course.

Dragging the feral Karin by the collar of his attire, Shin swiftly yet efficiently brought down the arrogant man with one move, pinning him on the ground with one arm behind his back.

"Don't take it too far, Karen. No one appreciates your mom jokes any more."

"Hah?! It's Karin, for god's sake!"

In the end, the fight which Shin considered to be a measly quarrel was broken up by Lieutenant Pan's constant blow of his whistle, which was more than enough bad memories to keep Shin away.

Both Shinra and Shin were also reunited with a familiar head of the class, named Ogun.

He was oddly enthusiastic as always, swinging his arm around Shin's neck as a way of expressing his usual greetings.

With a few whistles and Shinra the whistle-to-human-language translater, Lieutenant Pan had brought the two young men into the company, headed towards the Captain's room.

The day had barely even started, and yet Shin was so mentally drained that he could pass out from exhaustion.

However, seeing the smiles and laughter that surrounded him as well as meeting with those he was too proud to consider as friends in the past but always were close to him, Shin couldn't help but let a small smile seep onto his face.

Memories he had failed to keep in the past were all coming back to him like huge boulders, and yet all he was overwhelmed with were the feelings of nostalgia and fulfillment.

No one knew then, that such a carefree atmosphere was doomed to fall.