38 - falling apart (i.)

Start from the beginning

a voice behind Hikari catches her off guard. her heart raced as it always did. her skin tingled. then his hand comes to her back as she stood up.

"I'm sorry I'm late," he softly mutters, kissing her cheek.

"Ran!"

she looked at him and smiled. Ran raised his brows, a smile forming in his own lips as he leans in to kiss her once more. a second of their lips touching, Haru's already pushed him away. out of respect for the child, Ran turns his attention to him, opting to wrap an arm around Hikari's waist as he extends the bouquet of flowers he'd bought for him.

"flowers?" Haru scowls.

"congratulations, kid," Ran beams, "these are for you."

"flowers?" he repeats.

"I thought you were smart, can't you see that they're obviously flowers?"

"I hate you," Haru says as he takes the bouquet from Ran.

"and I'm proud of you, kid. you made your sister proud, you're all she could talk about last night," Ran softly says, ruffling his hair.

"why were you late?"

Haru was sulking. Ran briefly kissed Hikari once more as he let her go, picking Haru up in his arms to hug the stubborn child. he wraps his arms around his neck; Hikari couldn't help but take a picture of them both.

"I was working, how about we go wherever you want to to make up for it?"

"the movies!"

"aren't you tired, Ran?" Hikari gently says, her hand on Haru's back as she looked at Ran over her brother's shoulder.

he shook his head with a smile.

"I'm taking you away for a month after our wedding, let's spend time with your brother before that."

+++

after the movies, Ran carried Haru to the car in one arm as he held Hikari's hand. the child had fallen asleep—which Ran found great by the way as he got to kiss Hikari without him interrupting. he doesn't even know what the movie was about—he was busy gawking at his wife. the wife he'll officially be marrying in seven days.

"Ella says she'll be in charge of my bridal shower."

Hikari sat in the passenger seat, Ran drove, and Haru was snoring softly in the backseat.

"bridal shower?" Ran raised a brow. it sounded like stealing Hikari away from him.

"you know how the bride and groom aren't supposed to see each other the night bef—"

"you know I have trouble sleeping without you," he softly says, momentarily glancing at her.

"so do I, Ran. which is why I disagreed, why don't we go clubbing the night before? together—with our friends."

"hmm, it's been a while since we went clubbing."

"we've been busy."

"right. so we're partying before we get married. we get to hoe around—with each other of course—while Haru is...?"

she smiled at him. at first, Ran always seemed to forget Haru existed—he was too focused on her and her alone. when she was upset about it, he apologized and seriously started considering Haru more. Rindou was never a normal child with normal needs, so Ran explained, he says he didn't know how to be a brother to a child like Haru.

but he was spectacular. Haru warmed up to him so fast even though the kid would never admit it.

"Haru would be fine alone for a night."