16 - breakfast disaster

the first thing Hikari did when she woke up was cook breakfast. it's not that she felt totally fine now, her fever's still there, but it was do or die. her legs were shaking as she stood in the kitchen, her pajamas and Ran's hoodie doing absolutely nothing to keep her warm.

Ran surprisingly didn't wake up when she shuffled out of bed, probably so tired from being her nurse. she'd kissed him once before she got out of his room. maybe cooking wasn't actually the first thing she did. she took her time to kiss him and hug him and told him good morning.

she was happy. she was sick and aching, but she was happy. it was such a rare emotion that it felt like she was living an entirely different life from days ago.

she glanced at the clock that read 6 in the morning. it was a godly hour, but Rin's work schedule was unpredictable. once she's finished brewing his coffee, she walks over to his room, knocking on the door.

he doesn't respond. she realized then that she's never had to wake him up before since it was always the other way around.

"Rin?"

there was no response, and she decides to twist the knob. she opens the door to find a sleeping Rindou, but the weird thing was that he wasn't asleep on his bed. because it was still dark, she flipped the light switch on, the girl not knowing how to react with the state of his room.

it was messier than it was before, not just from his clothes, but multiple liquor bottles as well.

"Rin, are you alright?" she softly asks as she crouches before him.

he was full-on lying down on the cold floor, not a shirt on. she touched his skin to feel how cold it must be. a hand grabbed her wrist almost instantly.

"you okay?" she asks again, to a conscious Rin this time as he glared at her.

"what are you doing here?"

"I cooked breakfast."

he snorted, letting go of her hand as he rose up. why did you have to be here? he didn't want her seeing what a mess he was.

"go away, Hikari."

"why are you so pissed off?"

"because you were so fucking loud the other night, I couldn't sleep," he snaps.

as Rin stood up, Hikari did so as well. she reminds herself to not bite on her temper, because the funny thing was, if Rin was mad and then she'd also get mad, it'd become a messy, endless fight neither would back down on.

"I said go away."

"let's eat breakfast, Rin."

"I don't want to."

"stop being a child," she lightly scolds, tugging at his hair when he motions to turn away from her.

he slapped her hand away, muttering under his breath as he walked past her and out of his room. she could only follow him with a grin, and she was still grinning as he sat down before his food.

"what?" he asks, annoyed.

"you said you didn't want to eat."

he grit his teeth. he was still so annoyed with her, so mad at her for folding so easily for his brother. but he can't refuse her, not when their time together was already so limited. Hikari sat across him, digging into her food.

she could feel his eyes on her, and because of the silence, she's much more aware now of the direness of their situation. as much as she wanted to, she can't pretend like they'd never kissed or almost went beyond that. all of a sudden, she couldn't meet his eyes.