Fifty-One

There was an awkward silence in the room where Seokjin and the Queen were seated. In coming to the Queen and asking the questions he did, Seokjin was aware that he was making a risky move; however, he was not afraid. He wanted to understand Jungkook better and see him find the healing he deserved. After a lot of time spent thinking about it, he couldn't think of anyone better than Jungkook's mother to help heal him from the suffering that he had endured.

"Please accept my sincerest apologies if you take what I express as an insult, but we must have a King who is self-assured in his position and considers himself worthy of the throne.

I believe that a significant portion of Jungkook's hostility derives from the demons that he continuously battles, one of which is the fear of being rejected and the feeling of being unwelcome, notably in his role as King.

Although I can't change a lot of what he feels, I feel that you, as his mother, do. That is the main reason I am in this room. I hope that we will be able to see this as a partnership, not for our own benefit, but for the greater welfare of the Kingdom and people looking to him for leadership."

After gazing at the Queen for some time, Seokjin turned his attention to his daughter, which instantly offered him some much-needed solace. He was aware that he had a purpose, and he understood that other people wanted to live within their purpose but didn't because fear held them back; he resolved that this would not be the case for him or the man he was set to marry.

The Queen's gaze moved from Seokjin to Moon, who was still in her arms, and then she said to Seokjin as she returned her eyes to him, "You love him."

"I do." There was not the slightest hint of hesitance in Seokjin's response.

"I am aware of it, and I am grateful to you for continuing to love him despite all that has taken place," she said. "I want to reassure you that I do not regard what you said to be offensive. I am a terrible mother to my son." The Queen couldn't contain her emotions despite her best efforts.

She paused for a while to collect herself before continuing, "Jeon Jungkook is the only memory of what I had with his father. His father was a remarkable guy who was intelligent, honest, and genuine in how he lived his life. I couldn't figure out at first what it was in me that made such a guy fall in love with me, but nevertheless, he did, and now I felt the same way about him.

However, jealousy is a poison that spreads and eventually becomes a big problem to overcome if it is not purged at its source. Unfortunately, this was the situation for the Jeon brothers. Jungkook's father was loved by many, and his brother hated it. He was bitter about it because he had longed to be the firstborn child and believed that he was more deserving of the Kingdom than anyone else.

He stuck by his brother's side through all his hate for him. He also had eyes for me, but I could never feel the same way about him. When he found out about Jungkook's father and me, it was the last straw for him, and his jealousy took over. He did the unspeakable and caused the death of Jungkook's dad.

It was hushed up out of humiliation and suffering because they didn't want the Kingdom to break apart due to it. It was said that Jungkook's father had succumbed to an illness and passed away unexpectedly, although this was never the case. His brother was the one who ended his life." The Queen closed her eyes after speaking those words; no matter how much time had gone by, she never once forgot how the man she had loved had been taken away from her. 

"I was pregnant when he passed away, and when his brother found out about it, due to his strong desire to become King, he gave me two options: either I could marry him and live at his side as the Queen with the promise that he would take care of my unborn child, or he could lock me up in prison for the entirety of my pregnancy until I gave birth, at which point I would watch my child be killed by a sword, and then I would face death myself.