15. Biker Version of B&C.

"No way!" My mother's sweet voice echoed through the living room.

"I swear, I did it," Nick replied with another deep giggle. There she was, in the living room, sprawled out gracefully on our couch. Why was I not surprised?

Of course, even when I told her I'd be out in ten minutes, she took it upon herself to walk up to my door and knock. I figured my mother let her in.

That woman might be a hotheaded homophobic person, but she sure knew how to hide it well. Was she afraid people would despise her for hating them? Because I did, and she did not care much about my dislike for her behavior against my sexuality.

She did not care about anything.

Anyway, I hoped Nick liked what she saw because I did not. The living room would have been empty if not for the two brown leather couches—the leather was peeling off. Just about time, it peeled off. It was as though they had lived a thousand years.

A small, flat-screen TV was mounted to the gray walls inside our house. A tiny round coffee table lay in the center with a brown vase of plastic roses stuffed in it. That useless vase was my mother's most valuable possession. She took care of it as though it were an egg. She always told me just how much she liked that vase above everything else in the house.

Might be the useless blabbering of a drunk woman, or it might hold a backstory to it that I did not know about.

"And you know, I was looking for a lawyer, Sage told me you are one," Nick spoke, stretching out her hand to play with the back of the couch—wait, she was subconsciously peeling off a piece of leather.

I scowled, I wanted to slap her hand away, but that was nothing compared to what I saw in her apartment so, I refrained. I concentrated on the issue at hand, the part where I told Nick that my mother was a lawyer.

I stood at the bottom of the staircase, frozen and immobile. I only watched as my mother's face scrunched into a surprised expression. She looked down at the cup of coffee in her hands—if that wasn't alcohol.

"She told you that?" She asked.

"Yes, I could appreciate it if you looked into my father's case. He was falsely accused of selling drugs," Nick explained, and I hated that I did not know any of that. But it's not like I ever asked her about her family. She had no right to ask about mine, and that was why I lied to her.

"Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. But I'm not a lawyer," my mother explained, her eyes darted to the blank TV and then to me. She shifted on the couch across from Nick when she saw me. I gave her a tight-lipped smile.

Nick followed her eyes to me, then smiled, and I wiggled my fingers, to give them a short wave.

"There you're" Nick gave me a half-smile, but her eyes did not fail to sparkle when she looked at me. She dragged them over me, and I let her give me the unwanted once-over.

"Hey," I finally spoke, to drift her attention from my neon, body-hugging dress to my face.

"Ready?" She asked, I nodded. "And please carry your jacket, I won't do you any favors tonight."

Ah, such a gentlewoman, she was.

I nodded and strode up the staircase, not wasting much time grabbing my dark coat. I was not sure why Nick hadn't snapped at me already for lying to her about my mother, but all I knew was I couldn't leave the two of them alone for longer than five minutes.

Who knew what my mother would say to her next? The last thing I needed was for Nick to find out that my mother was not only sick but as well an alcoholic. If she already did not find out.

"You've got to be fucking with me," I spoke as soon as I laid my eyes on the motorbike parked just outside our house. We were going to a party on this?

Seriously, What was wrong with this girl? I turned to her, she had a smile on her lips and looked back at me.

"Will be fun, right?" She smiled. Bringing her hands to her waist, she chuckled and gently bumped my shoulder.

What the hell was funny? How could I even get on a bike in a fucking dress, for fuck's sake?

"Nick, I'm not going," I shook my head, clutching my purse harder.

"Why not?" She turned to me.

"Look at me," I waved a hand over myself. "I'm in a dress and fucking heels."

"So? You look fucking gorgeous, turn around, let me see that ass," she said and giggled like a child. She was way too giddy tonight, and I craved the serious side of her. Unlike me, my friend here was dressed in dark jeans, a plain white t-shirt, and of course, her leather jacket with boots and a cap. I felt stupid to have dressed this formally when I could have just worn something simple myself.

"It's not funny, I feel overdressed," I complained, but I turned for her to see my ass. And damn right it was well-defined, and so were the curves.

"Oh, don't sweat it, you are just alright," she waved me off and made it seem like I was being too dramatic. Did she have any idea how I struggled to fix this look? "Your mom isn't that dark," She commented, changing the topic as she strode to her bike.

"Yes. She fucked a black man and had me." I smiled, hopefully, she picked up on the sarcasm.

"Must have been some work." she chuckled.

"Seriously, Nick, how am I supposed to get on that thing, with a dress? And I thought I told you I disliked them? I'm just going to call a lift for myself. Tell me the destination." I brought my phone from my purse.

"Whoa!" She grabbed my phone. "Slow down, I will get us a decent ride, back home. For now, we will be the biker version of Bonnie and fucking Clyde!"

The fuck?

"Nop-"

"I will be gentle, I promise." Her blue globes gazed into my brown ones, and she placed my phone in her pocket, then brought out hers. "I will make you a playlist, you will get lost in the web of my music that you won't even see when we get there."

"What a great plan you have there, Ms," I mocked and faked a smile, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Haha." She gently placed her headphones on either side of my ears, before she smirked and her eyes went back to her phone. "So, the first song is Summer by Calvin Harris," she said, and immediately Summer started playing.

I smiled to myself as I listened to the lyrics. Cute.

"I told you, you'd like…"

I pressed the volume button on her phone, increasing it, so I couldn't get anything she was saying. Her lips moved, then she pointed to something, and I grinned even wider at the fact that she did not even know I had stopped listening.

Such an idiot.