5. Toxic people.

"Are you alright?" Ned's voice echoed through the hallway as he approached me. I had been quite stuck in my locker doing nothing in particular but just avoiding as many eyes as possible. I knew the news of the breakup was what was hot in school right now, and it would take another major thing for this to die down - if it ever will die down.

I took in a frustrated breath as I turned to Ned. My chubby, short, and sweet Ned. Always too loud and enthusiastic. Ned was the only true friend I could ever have, we had been close since fifth grade, and now we were still close in high school--senior year for that fact.

"I didn't die, thank you," I pushed a braid behind my ear as I faced him. His freckled face turned sad immediately, and he pulled me in a hug, did I mention how much of a hugger he was?

If I wasn't in school, I could have sworn to break down and sob in his warm arms, but I refrained. I pulled away when I noticed Charlotte approaching us.

"Are you okay? Why did you skip school yesterday?" She asked, in her high-pitched voice.

I blinked for a while as I waited for her to calm down for a second. But she instead shrugged, possibly waiting for me to say something. For the past two weeks, Charlotte had been acting 'weird'. I couldn't seem to get why, so I mostly went on to hang out with Ned, my other best friend.

"I did not feel like it, I am fine too," I explained briefly.

"Well you scared the shits out of us, Ha-" she paused, and I nodded for her to continue, but her eyes lingered somewhere behind me, Ned seemed to have turned his attention too.

So, I turned to see just what was happening. Were people fighting? The worst that could be happening, is someone taking a video of me and posting it on the school's Instagram page.

Fuck it.

I turned, and must I say, I was not shocked by what I saw. It was Brittney and her entourage, the usual three girls - but what surprised me the most was the additional members.

Faith, Miranda, and Kacy. They dawdled behind Brittney and her friends, so they joined her girl gang now. Well, I wouldn't say I never expected it, I saw it coming from a mile away. Those three had only befriended me because I was dating the hottest and one of the richest girls in school.

As soon as they heard the break-up news, they must have started sucking up and kissing the cheerleader's ass. Sickening indeed.

"Hi," I waved a hand, preparing my sarcasm dictionary, it was the least I could do.

Brittney took her time to speak. "Look who is single," she played with a blonde lock of her hair, while her mouth was filled with gum - seriously? Is this a movie?

"Look who doesn't give a shit," I smiled. "I see you have new members kissing your ass."

Somehow, Brittney always had a secret conflict with me, I could tell by the way she looked at me and how she tried to get close to Rowan to make me jealous. She was the jealous one though, seeing as Rowan and she had been childhood buddies. According to her, they grew up together, and she always had a thing for her.

I guess it was a dream come true for her, but I wasn't sure on Rowan's part. Was she doing this to just get on my nerves and make me jealous, or had she decided to reciprocate the feelings between them?

Either way. I didn't let it get to me, not at the moment, anyway.

"I feel sorry for you, Sagey," Brittney spat. We had successfully managed to gain everyone's attention-which sucked, but if she was going to make a scene-I might as well give them something good to watch.

"Why is that?" I chuckled.

"You look miserable without Rowan, it's just a matter of time before you crumble, you know."

"Ooh!" the crowd of teenagers shouted in response to her mean comment.

"I think you're the miserable one because, hey! Look who is being used, and the sad part is you don't even realize it," I spat back at her and the crowd went crazy again shouting, "Ooh!"

Others had taken out their phones and were capturing this, I knew this stupid thing would be everywhere on social media, but I wasn't concerned about that anymore. I just needed to stand my ground and not let her get to me.

When in reality she had already gotten to me and my heart was throbbing in pain all over again. It was no secret Brittany was fucking racist together with the rest of her friends. She loathed me for my color, and I couldn't give two shit about her unless, of course, she was now dating my ex.

My heart clenched but don't worry, though, I did a good job at masking it and wearing the most sarcastic smile ever.

"You're one miserable piece of shit!" She screamed bitterly, I could see the tears about to run down her perfect cheeks, I had to use this to my advantage. People were watching-I was miserable and, yes, I was a piece of shit - but I was not going to let them see it.

Not today.

"Aww, are you crying? Rowan your girlfriend needs a shoulder to cry on," I made a teasing sad face, and she parted her pink lips to say something but burst into tears. Then she rushed out of the hallway, her friends lagging behind her. pathetic.

The crowd that had assembled earlier started to dispatch, and someone with disgusting guts came up to me with their phone camera filming me.

"Sage, how bad does it hurt?"

I looked at the boy who had just asked the most absurd question in the history of questions. I shook my head, and the best I could do was raise a middle finger at him and his camera before I stormed off to class.

"Okay, the party is over folks, it's time for class," a voice echoed through the hallway as we all made our way to our various classes. Why did that not come earlier? I needed this when I was on the battlefield with Brittney.

They are all so perfect Brittany. From her clear ivory skin to her sparkling green eyes and her curvy body. She was one attractive prick, despite her fucking attitude towards black people. Like me. But that didn't bother me. What bothered me was the fact that I had started an imaginary war with the cheerleader and the new girlfriend of my ex.

It wasn't my intention to make her an enemy or to even get involved with her and Rowan's relationship, but she pulled me in, and I was aware that was just the beginning of the worst senior year of high school.