1.Red Flag Material

I suck in a sharp and ragged breath, as I listen to her. She probably doesn't know this yet but her words are cutting huge pieces out of my heart, leaving deep, dark holes.

With hot tears rushing out of my eyes, I stare at the tall girl in front of me. Silky red hair, hands perfectly fitted into her jean pockets and her eyes so gray, search my wet ones. Her head bobs and her curls bounce. A pink lip is trapped between her teeth.

I'm about to lose my shit.

"You know it's true. I can't continue with this, It's best if we split up." She shrugs.

As if what she just said carries no weight at all.

Another tear rolls down my cheek. My face will be a puffy mess tomorrow but I don't care. All I want to do is pull her into my arms and ask her to take back her words.

"Rowan, this... you know I can't do this," I whisper, lip quivering with fear. We both know how fragile I am and she knows this will shatter me. I'm going to break and die in my bed. Alone.

"You will be fine. We can be friends though."

I've been holding it together so well until now. A thick, bulging vein has been pulsing in my temple since she started talking. Now it's dangerously close to detonating.

I scoff.

"Did you ever feel anything at all?" I don't whisper. I let myself get angry. The anger I've been suppressing bubbles up.

"There you go making a scene." Rowan looks around like she's never been more embarrassed.

I inhale.

I exhale

This cannot be happening.

My heart beats against my throat, pumping blood into my head until I'm seeing red.

Why do I let this egotistical jerk push me around?

"Alright," I mutter. "Alright."

In the center of the room, I spot a gourd of teenagers lounging around the couches. I hate house parties but I came for her. Little did I know she planned to make a fool out of me.

I turn and walk away. Could these boots walk any faster?

I have no time to think about what I'm doing. She has already done the damage, and I'm going to worsen it-but who cares?

"Alright, what?" Rowan screams behind me but I don't look back.

My palms are sweaty when I make it to the center. I push them into my pockets.

"You guys mind if I join?"

I hate this.

There's silence, I'm ready to turn back when someone speaks.

"Sure. This shit is strong though, try not to pass out." A dark-haired girl says, handing me the small, wrapped-up piece of paper.

I can easily say no and go home and nurse my heartbreak on some chocolate and a sappy movie but no, not today. So I make myself comfortable next to her. I don't mind that her skin grazes over me as she lays back to close her eyes.

I look back at the blunt for a moment, contemplating whether to take part in this or not. Their mouth's sucked on it. So unhealthy.

"Are you going to use that?" The guy seated across asks.

"Hey," he calls out lazily.

"Oh-uh, sure." I immediately put it to my lips. I want to pass it on, but I remember just how desperately I need it.