chapter 3 - high teardrops

TW: smoking, mature language

As I walked into the forest I sat at a picnic table where it was real quiet and I couldn't hear anything but nature. I took out my small compact and started using the mirror to touch up my hair. As I whisked my fingers through my hair I started to hear rustling.
I stood up, looking around to see nothing.

"Is anyone there?" I said nervously.

Suddenly I felt a hand rest on my shoulder and I screamed.

"Holy shit, she's not as fearless as she seems!" A voice laughed. I turned to face Eddie. The stalker van boy.

"Is that what you do in your free time?! You come out to the woods to scare girls halfway to death! Fuck you!" I yelled at him as his smile faded.

"I come here to deal drugs. Thought you weren't the type to skip." I glared at him and shook my head, sitting back down on the picnic table.

He glared at me, sitting on the side across from me, as he put down a little black tin box. He opened it to reveal ounces of weed as he looked up at me.
"Well..do you smoke?" He asked, picking up a small paper and starting to roll a joint.

"I'll have a hit. If it'll get you to leave me alone." I said mustering up the courage to finally do drugs.
Eddie laughed as he stuffed the joint and lit it with a lighter, taking a puff soon after. He put his hand, offering me a hit. I took the joint and put it to my lips before inhaling a big puff. I blow the smoke out and make a weird face.

"Your first time?" He asked.

God I never thought I'd be smoking with a weirdo on my first day of school. I took 4 more hits before I started to feel wonky I guess you could say. My eyes were red as I slurred on some of my words and I felt like on was on cloud 9.
Eddie was the same way and sat laughing at me for about 10 minutes before he got up and started dancing funny, making me laugh. Maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

Looking away into the forest, I could feel Munsons stare on me.

"I basically have eyes in the back of my head..van boy." He chuckled as I turned to face him.

"You're pretty. What was it like at your last school?" Eddie said, starting to pack another joint.

"I dated this one jock in my last school. He only wanted sex.. which I didn't want to have. I was popular too.. so it kind of stuck to me as being the virgin." I was clearly high out of my mind to think it was okay to say this... I felt like I knew Eddie for years even though I've barely said 2 sentences to him within my life of knowing him.

His smile slowly fades as he seems to sober up in a matter of seconds. I didn't know if his look was of disgust or guilt. I quickly realized what I had just said and shot up from the table.

"I-I'm sorry. Please don't say anything. I really- have to go." I said in a nervous matter starting to gather my things before Eddie stands up and stops me. He walks over to me and puts his hand on my waist and he pulled me closer to him..leaving only about 3 inches between our faces. I pushed him away realizing that whatever the fuck is happening is weird and I need to get my mind straight.
I was not about to kiss a random guy who I don't like at all, especially after telling him about my virginity..and the fact that I'm high off my mind.

He glared at me for a minute before I run away and head back to school, trying to hold in tears, but honestly I feel more angry than anything.

I quickly wipe my tears before making a run for it to the nearest bathroom in school. I rush through the door and in to a stall where I sit down on the ground and cry quietly. I hear the bathroom door open see a redhead girl through the crack of the stall.

I walk out and see Max. She notices me and starts to walk towards me.
"Holy shit, are you okay?" I nod my head.

"I just need something to take my mind off of what happened. Not drugs." I wipe my tears and stare at myself in the mirror. Max pops up on the bathroom sink and starts telling me about how she met Mike, Dustin, and even Lucas.
She tells me how they always played arcade games together and how they found her because she was able to beat them in one. About how she also thought they were stalkers, but ended up being their best friend.. and Lucas' girlfriend. She tells me about every joke she's heard, every rumor, and what it's usually like at Hawkins, especially how it was like for them in middle school. Soon enough I was happy and laughing with Max over the stupid shit she did with the boys.

"You know, usually I don't trust people this fast with what's happened in the past, but I've had a really tough life. And they helped me a lot. I know your probably gonna become the perfect cheerleader senior, but you should really consider letting us help you out. I know the struggle of being the new kid." Max smiles.

For her being a freshman, and what people would call a loner at that, she was the nicest person I've met so far in Hawkins. Even though she seemed very sentimental and emotional, I guess it would be cheesy to say this, but she is just like me.

"God I hate cheer! And thank you." I smile back at her as she flips her headphones back up on her head and walks out, me following behind, except I was going straight home.