Chapter 38: The Crooked Alliance

Julie

I click on this computer, trying to go through these reports I was supposed to be through with before lunch already. I try and push everything out of my mind and I work. My husband and Drake fetch me after work. When I get to the car, I find the other's as well.

I grin when I get in. "The whole squad is here."

They grin. "We are going out to eat, princess. We haven't had time to cook."

"We are?"

"Yeah, new restaurant we want to try out."

"Okay, can we pass at home first though, I want to freshen up."

"You look fine, honey."

I roll my eyes to my husband. "I want to look hot... and fresh."

He smiles then drives us home. I go upstairs and I leave them in the living room getting drinks. I strip down and I get in the shower. My concerns barrel down on me again. The hot water cascading down my body doesn't do anything to calm me down. I get off the shower and I dry my hair with a towel and leave it to air dry the rest of the way. I wear a fluffy gown and head downstairs. I am not feeling up to being in public anymore. I find them congregated in the couch. I see rage in their faces. They try to collect themselves when they see me, and they force smiles but I already saw it: They look guilty for something.

"What's going on?"

I look at my husband who looks guilty.

"Sit down." Lex says in a voice weirdly filled with softness

I sit next to Drake. They don't start talking immediately. My heart hammers in my chest even harder and I am getting worried. Did someone die? Did they do something?

"We found the P.I who was paid to tail you." Drake says next to me. He takes my hand.

"Me? They are tailing me?"

"Were tailing you."

"But who would do that and why? Does it have something to do with my parents?"

"No."

"Then tell me, you guys are scaring me."

"It was because of us, me and Tommy." Dean says

"What about you two?"

"The person was instructed to get proof that you were cheating."

My mind lands on the only person outside my friend group who knows about Tommy. The snake in orthopedic shoes herself.

"Martha?" I exclaim

"Yes, kitty. She hired the P.I."

"She wanted to destroy our marriage?" I mutter. "Fuck."

"She hired him after she caught us." Tommy says

"That fucking bitch. But why? Why the fuck does she care? She doesn't even want my job. She has no career goals from what I gathered. What the fuck did I do to her?"

"That's also what we don't know. But what we do know is she has a partner. We don't know who it is yet."

Rage rises up my chest and my hands shake. I clench my fist trying to stop the movement. I rise up suddenly and I stomp upstairs. I hear footsteps behind me. "Where are you going?"

"To get dressed. I need answers from that witch."

"Right now? You don't want to wait for tomorrow?"

"No. Do you have her address?"