Chapter 17

The kickoff meetings for the Miami Dolphins project had me almost foaming at the mouth to get started. They wanted to renovate all their luxury and press boxes, as well as convert four of their concession stands into higher end food service options. It was going to be a tight schedule, but I knew we could do it. I sketched out a quick plan with Gina, letting her be in charge of all of the food service stations and I took the luxury boxes. The press box we would both keep an eye on, but it was the easiest part of the project just because it was a smaller scope and should be fast.

Things were looking up.

I'd just gotten home when I got a text notification from Hayden and opened it quickly. I'd made the mistake of agreeing to let her pick the Valentine's Day dinner restaurant because we were finally going on the double date that she and Heather had been begging for. I had a nice night planned for Kaia and I afterwards, but first I needed Hayden to come through for me.

H10 – We have the reservations. This place is supposed to be amazing!

Me – Where are we going?

H10 – We're going to the House of Food Porn, 7PM reservation

Me – Was that a typo, or do you use the word porn while typing so much your phone autocorrected?

H10 – No! That's really the name!

Me – The romantic Valentine's Day dinner will be at a Food Porn place?

H10 – Forget the name! It is amazing food!

Me – You're killing me.

H10 – Come on! I know you and Kaia will love it.

Me – What kind of food?

H10 – Cuban style sushi, completely stunning!

Me – Have you ever been there?

H10 – No. But Dr. Burns says it is the best place he's ever been.

Me – If you're wrong, I'll have to kill you

H10 – Fair enough. We'll meet you there!

Shit. Hayden was a great friend, and I loved her to death, but I must admit her choice of restaurant made me a little nervous. Still though, it had great reviews once I checked them out, so maybe the name was them just being a little irreverent. I could live with that as long as the food was good and it made Kaia happy.

We found out just how good the food was that weekend, and Hayden was quickly forgiven. The food was awesome, and obviously so was the company. Kaia and I were both sushi fans, so having a Cuban twist on it, another cuisine we loved, was the perfect match. I sure never would have expected it!

The night was everything I'd hoped. Wonderful food, Kaia looking stunning in a short red dress that was perfect for the holiday, Heather and Hayden being adorable together, and all of us laughing. But I guess all the good things that had been happening since I met Kaia needed to be evened out by having the past rear its ugly head.

We were just finishing our desert when I felt Kaia's hand grip mine tightly. I glanced over to see what she needed, but she was staring wide eyed at a young man who was being seated at a nearby table. Heather saw Kaia's alarm and looked over, swearing under her breath. It only got worse when he happened to look our way and saw the girls. Instantly a broad smile lit upon his face.