38. Not Yet

Ten months later — May

I curled my hands around the mug full of steaming coffee, studying this week’s spread in my agenda. Today was my day off, but tomorrow… The first day of a new book fair I needed to attend and write about, an interview with its organizer Virginia insisted I did, although that hadn't been my responsibility until now, and…

Classes. Damn it.

With finals approaching, I couldn't slack, but did just that, and not by choice. 

“You’re up early.” 

I jerked at the sound of Brian's deep voice. Jim’s little brother was back, staying with us. Thanks to the nine months he spent working with an NGO in Indonesia, he was lucky to be accepted into Bartley University, known for its combined BS/MD program.

I straightened on the stool. “Good morning. Jim has already left.”

Brian ran his hand through his dark hair, giving me a half-smile. “You sure? The big bro might be hiding behind the condo door, ready to pounce on me if I call you something like beautiful.”

I smiled into my mug and left it on the island. “He's not like that. He's just—”

“Balls deep in love. I know my brother, Ava.”

“I was going to say overprotective, but I guess that too.”

“I guess.” Brian mocked me, smirking. “Girls can be oblivious, I swear.”

There he was — the younger, bold O'Brien Jim loved so much. I wasn't the only person on the receiving end of Jim’s overprotectiveness. He cared about his family and friends deeply, which made me even crazier about him. 

“Jim worries about you just as much. Would you like coffee?”

“But he doesn't lose his shit if someone calls me beautiful.” Brian winked. “And no, thank you. I’ll have some on campus later. I have to hand them paperwork and stuff and start looking for a place to live so you lovebirds can have your privacy back.”

“We don’t mind you staying with us,” I said. The condo was big enough not to hear what was going on in other rooms, and we were careful not to be loud while having sex.

“I know you don’t mind, but I do.” Brian drummed his fingers on the granite countertop. “It’s just that Jim’s always done everything he could for us. His family, I mean. I don’t want to be the lost little brother he needs to look after. He has you, and it’s about damn time he put himself first.”

“He’s proud of you. And he’s happy you’re back. Jim missed you.”

“I’m proud of him too. I’ve never met anyone more hard-working. And you’re good for him. He always gushed about you when we talked on the phone when I was away. Oh, and just a heads-up, I’ll call you beautiful a few more times to piss him off. Deal?”