19. The Gala

Standing in front of the mirror in Jim's bedroom, I admired the way my long, sequined black dress wrapped around my body, accentuating my cleavage

Standing in front of the mirror in Jim's bedroom, I admired the way my long, sequined black dress wrapped around my body, accentuating my cleavage. The thin straps, bare back, and thigh-high slit made the gown look even sexier.

My breath caught in my throat at the sight of Jim behind me. It was the third time I'd seen him in a suit, and just like the first two, it was impossible not to stare.

He erased the distance between us in a couple of strides and slid his arms around my waist.

"Beautiful." Jim kissed my shoulder and the column of my neck, exposed thanks to the low bun the stylist pulled my hair into.

"Thank you." I angled my head to brush my lips against his, careful not to smear the lipstick. A frustrated groan Jim let out told me it wasn't enough for him.

"You look stunning, baby," he said, moving his hands up my arms until they paused at my biceps. "Nervous?"

I'd had enough time to panic and imagine all kinds of disastrous scenarios, such as tripping over and falling in my four-inch heels, spilling the drink on myself, saying something stupid, or running into Tasha. The latter was a given since she'd be there, but I hoped to avoid her.

"A little." I sighed, turning around.

Jim kissed my forehead. "Don't be. It's gonna be alright. We'll eat delicious food, dance, and have fun at the most important cultural event of the year. You might even run into some of your favorite writers."

I narrowed my eyes. "Wait, for real?"

"Yeah," Jim said. "I have no clue who's in attendance other than some of my fellow musicians and the actors I know, but it's likely. I want you to enjoy the gala, okay?"

"Okay." I laced my fingers through Jim's. "I'm ready."

The warm evening air hit my flushed face when we stepped out of the apartment complex. A limousine idled by the curb, and the driver opened the door for us.

Jim helped me inside first and took a seat beside me. His arm wrapped around my shoulders protectively as the vehicle pulled into traffic.

Lit-up buildings flashed behind the limo windows on our way downtown. The view of the night city and the relaxing movements of Jim's fingertips tracing patterns on my bare skin helped me get rid of some of the tension.

When the car stopped, nervous shivers coursed through me.

"Ava." Jim cupped my face. "Just hold my hand, breathe, and smile. It's gonna be alright. I won't leave your side unless I absolutely have to."