Chapter 25

Ribbonkit gaped. "Woah!" the kit squealed. "You're a warrior now! How does it-"

"Places, everyone! Fox!" Lightflights called from the clearing. Inkdip whipped her head to Dirtstep. "Fox? Dirtpelt, what should I do?" she called, the tom turned around, he was by the glowing entrance. "Protect Ribbonkit, and if things get too bad, come help the warriors," he meowed, his yellow eyes glistening.

"Ribbonkit, just stay in here, I'll protect you!" Inkdip padded towards the kit, who was crouching in the corner. "I don't want to die! I want to become a warrior!" the gray and white she-kit wailed, covering her eyes with her white paw. "You will become a warrior, just do as I say and you'll be okay." Ribbonkit's wails halted, taking her paw off her cloudy eyes. "I don't want to die," she whimpered. "You won't!" the warrior soothed.
      "I don't want to die! I can't die! I can't die! I can't die! I can't... Dad!" Inkdip paused. "Dad?" she echoed.

      Inkdip looking around, frantically. Inkdip's emerald eyes spotted a breach in the leafy walls between the medicine den and the nursery. "There! Hide in there!" she led the small kit to the crack, nudging her into the darkness and safety of the ferns and leaves. "Do not, and I repeat, do not come out until it's safe, and if the foxes find you, run." Ribbonkit's blue eyes glistened with fear as she hurriedly nodded before scurrying into the cracks.

     The black-and-white warrior pivoted and dashed to a bloodied fox who was looming over Dirtpelt's scratched and beaten body, jumping onto the large creature's back. Once she dug her claws into its neck, the fox started shaking violently as it attempted to get the warrior off its back. "Help!" Inkdip screeched as she clung on. She saw a flash of white out of the corner of her eye as she was flying across the grass, hardly landing on her paws as she slipped across the soft grass. Inkdip rammed into the fox's flank, slightly clawing its thigh. 

      The fox pivoted and fled, whimpering as the other foxes followed. Rain started to gently fall, Inkdip shook the raindrops off of her whiskers. "Thank you--" Inkdip turned to the savior of Dirtpelt. "Gullcaller?" the white warrior lowered his head, "hello, Inkdip.." he mumbled, almost ashamed to look at the she-cat. "I'm sorry for what I did when we were apprentices, I was jealous of all the attention you were getting and I-" Inkdip put her tail on the tom's mouth. "It's fine, but as I said; don't hurt anyone else." Gullcaller looked a bit flustered and startled as Inkdip lifted the brown tom and carried him to the medicine den. Oh, I almost forgot! She perked as she silently mewed to herself. "It's safe now, Ribbonkit. Let's go, Dirtpelt's hurt!" she called before the kit emerged from the soaked leaves and scurried after Inkdip into the den.