Chapter 17

Lightflights hopped onto a tall, burnt branch on a tree that has many bite marks and scratch marks. The old leader grunted as she leapt onto the branch. "All cats old enough to swim in the Light Lake, gather beneath the Burnt Tree for a clan meeting!" Lightflights called, cats began gathering around. "I'm sure word has gotten around already that there is... er... was a GorgeClan apprentice and kit in our camp, they are not here for a war, they mean no harm. I promise you, my friends, we are safe. But that isn't the only thing I called here to say, we are actually welcoming the apprentice and kit into LightClan with open paws. Please, accept them as who they are, they needed a safe place to stay." Dirtpaw and Inkpaw made eye contact, Dirtpaw's eyes were sparkling with excitement.

"Mountainswoop, will you take the honor of mentoring Inkpaw until she is ready to become a warrior?" The deputy smiled and nodded, hopping down from his low branch to touch noses with his new apprentice. "Will anyone take care of..." Lightflights paused, looking to Inkpaw. "Ribbonkit." Inkpaw whispered. "Ribbonkit, will anyone take care of Ribbonkit?" One queen began to step forward. "I will, I already have kits of my own so I can take care of Ribbonkit." Ribbonkit's eyes widened with fear and cowered into Inkpaw's belly fur. "I want to stay with Inkpaw!" The kit wailed, nuzzling the apprentice, who was staring in shock. "Very well, Ribbonkit will be taken care of by Inkpaw, will she sleep with you?" Inkpaw nodded. "Well then, meeting dismissed! Return to your duties!" The leader called before hopping off of her tree.

      "You're staying!" Dirtpaw cried, running to the black and white she-cat. He wrapped his arms around her and purred loudly. Inkpaw nuzzled the tom and then looked at Lightflights, who was looking happily at the two apprentices. "Yes, I am staying. And so is Ribbonkit." Inkpaw partially said that to try to wrap her heard around the fact that she lives in LightClan now, away from Rueheart, Hauntingripple, Vineflights, and even Eveningflower. She looked to Ribbonkit and then to Dirtpaw. "Do you want to help me take care of her?" Dirtpaw looked shocked, and even a bit flustered for a moment as he stared at her. He then nodded, smiling. "We could be like her parents!" Dirtpaw blurted. Inkpaw lightly gasped, flustered as her face felt hot and her belly was tickling her with delicate butterfly wings. Her parents?