Chapter 24

"Are you ready?" Dirtpaw meowed, his voice cracking with nervousness. "Yes, I am." Inkpaw replied, slightly smirking at the tom as the moonlight glistened onto their pelts.

      "All cats old enough to defend our home, gather beneath the Burntlog for a clan meeting!" Lightflights called from the log she sleeps in. As cats gathered, Inkpaw felt her heartbeat quicken. Dirtpaw and Inkpaw exchanged excited glances, Inkpaw's green gaze met Dirtpaw's yellow gaze.

     "Tonight, we have three apprentices who have worked hard to earn their warrior names. Inkpaw, Dirtpaw, and Gullpaw, step forward!" Lightflights and Inkpaw met each other's gaze. "Inkpaw, you have shown great promise and I hope that you will defend this clan even at the cost of your life." Inkpaw felt her heart race. "I will." Inkpaw dipped her head. "Then by the power of FlyClan, you will now go by Inkdip!" Inkdip, she liked that. "Dirtpaw, you have great speed and strength," Lightflights went on. "Do you promise to uphold our code even at the cost of your life?" Dirtpaw dipped his head in turn. "I do!" Inkdip watched the tom raise his head with excitement as Lightflights announced "then by the power of FlyClan, you will now be known as Dirtpelt."

      Dirtpelt and Inkdip exchanged glances, smiling widely with shiny teeth. Then, it was Gullpaw's turn. "Gullpaw, you have great strength yet a large amount of arrogance," Lightflights looked down to Gullpaw, who has lowering his head in shame. "Your shrieks are the shrieks only a gull can master, so you will now be known as Gullcaller." Gullcaller puffed his chest.

      Gullcaller turned around and looked to Inkdip and Dirtpelt, who were intertwining tails. Inkdip noticed Gullcaller's darkening gaze, the black and white she-cat rose to her paws and stepped towards the white tom.

     "I have every right to hate you, and maybe Lightflights should have exiled you. But I forgive you, but if you hurt any other cat in this clan, I will personally chase you out myself and leave a mark on you that you will remember." The new warrior glared at Gullcaller, who was practically cowering. "I'm sorry, Inkdip. I'm sorry!" he wailed as he turned and fled to the warriors' den. Inkdip turned around and saw her clanmates all staring at her, they all collectively looked away swiftly. "Some-cat had to put him in his place," Inkdip shrugged, padding to the nursery to see Ribbonkit. 

      Ribbonkit rose her head as she was awoken from her slumber, she perked as she saw Inkdip. "Inkpaw!" the kit rushed to Inkdip and Dirtpelt. "Inkdip" the warrior corrected, "and he's Dirtpelt!" Inkdip motioned to the brown tom with her tail.