Chapter 21

"I thought I lost you!" It was Ribbonkit. "We did." Dirtpaw stepped beside the kit, the sun burned into her eyes yet still Inkpaw felt so relieved. "Wait. Am I alive?" Inkpaw tilted her head in question. Dirtpaw chuckled and nodded.
     "You've been asleep for some time now."
     "How long?"
     "A moon." Dirtpaw shrugged, Inkpaw shot up. "A moon?!" She screeched as Ribbonkit tried to tear her back into the nest. "I have to go train! I have to... to..." As Inkpaw ran to the entrance, she felt her legs beneath her give in and all her strength disappear. She fell onto the ground with a loud thump. Inkpaw cursed under her breath. "Fine." The black and white apprentice grumbled as she crawled back to the nest. "We'll go get you some fresh-kill." Inkpaw weakly nodded.

      After a while, Dirtpaw re-emerged from the light and dropped a salmon at her paws. "Wha-what's this?" Inkpaw let out a soft chuckle. "What do you mean? We have the Lightlake for a reason, not just for looks." Inkpaw's belly churned but didn't want to seem ungrateful, she was very thankful in fact. But fish are so scaly and slimy. Inkpaw shuddered then gave the brown tom a wriggling smile. She sunk her sharp teeth into the fish and as her fangs pierced the flesh, she immediately tasted the delicate and delicious flavor of the fish, she quickly ate the salmon and looked up to Dirtpaw to thank him. "It tasted amazing! Perfect even!" There was a tiny bit left and Ribbonkit ran forward and ate the piece, licking her lips after. "Mhm! Unbelievably delicious!" The small kit chirped. Dirtpaw and Inkpaw let out a small chuckle as they leaned onto each other, smiling softly.

      As Ribbonkit played with a ball of fluffy moss, Dirtpaw and Inkpaw intertwined each other's tails within one another. "I'm glad you're back." Dirtpaw murmured. "As am I."