Chapter 22

"Are you sure you're okay?" Dirtpaw fretted. Today was the day of their warrior assessments. It's only been a moon since Gullpaw tried to murder her but she didn't pay any mind to the tom. "I'm fine, Dirtpaw." Inkpaw smiled. "It's scarring over so I'm not going to drop dead during the assessment." She joked, softly chuckling to herself. Dirtpaw sighed. "Okay. I trust you." He met her gaze and smiled warmly.

"Come on, you three!" Mountainswoop called. Inkpaw looked to Dirtpaw and nodded with determination. "Let's do this." Dirtpaw grunted in agreement. "Ugh, get a den." Gullpaw scoffed as he padded past them. Inkpaw took this to offense and stepped on the tom's tail until he was wailing out of the camp. "Inkpaw!" Mountainswoop scolded. "He tried to kill me! I have every right!" The black and white apprentice protested. Mountainswoop shut his mouth. "Let's just go.." He mumbled.

     Once the assessment started, It was agreed that Gullpaw would take the southern part of the territory, Dirtpaw would take the north-eastern part of the territory, and Inkpaw would take the Lightlake north of the territory. Inkpaw watched the water carefully. She caught a few fish before she spotted something that looked similar to a log approaching her. "Wha—" Suddenly, an alligator emerged from the water and snapped at her. Inkpaw let out and darted away.

As Inkpaw was running, she got an idea. She bolted towards a tree, glanced behind her and made sure the green creature was still behind her. She ran up the tree and jumped off, flipping onto the alligators back. The alligator roared as Inkpaw jammed her claws underneath the alligator's scales. As the alligator was flailing around, the black and white she-cat slipped underneath the alligator and jammed her claws into it's neck, pealing them off to bite it. The alligator had enough and grabbed Inkpaw and threw her against a tree and as the barked scratched into her skin, she slid into a thorned bush.

     Inkpaw watched the alligator approach her through her crimson red blurred vision. No! No, I can't die yet! She thought desperately as she looked around. She saw a small rock and scooped it up in her paw, smashing it into the alligator's face which gave her enough time to get up and run to the water. If I manage to lead it back into the water then maybe I can grab my kill and run back to camp. Where was Mountainswoop? She heard the snaps behind her and just before the alligator went barreling into the water, she kicked dust around into it's eyes and grabbed her 3 fish by its' tails and sped off.

     "Inkpaw!" A croaky voice huffed. She turned around and saw her mentor.