Mitchell didn't respond with words but merely stared at me with an arched brow and a challenging spark in his eyes. I knew that look and it stirred a feeling of excitement in the pit of my stomach. 

Kelsey laughed and interrupted our moment. "We've got to have dinner together sometime. I'd be entertained with Mila just roasting you."

I didn't understand why I was hostile towards Kelsey when she seemed nice. I was always guarded but assumed I was pretty sociable and easy to get along with yet with Kelsey... I struggled to even fake a smile. 

"I hope you enjoy tonight." I smiled. "If you guys will excuse me, I've got to make my rounds to say hi."

I didn't miss the curious look in Mitchell's gaze but chose to ignore it and after I brushed my hand over his, I walked off. I grabbed a glass of champagne off a waiter's tray and headed toward my friends.

I noticed that Dante, Kiara, and her fiancé arrived and were already introduced to Owen and Faith. The group seemed friendly with each other and it took them a second to notice I was present. After I greeted the trio who just arrived, Kiara introduced me to her fiancé. 

"So, you were finally able to peel yourself away from Mitch?" Faith teased. 

"I am yet to meet the infamous Mitch," Kiara said. 

Dante looked around the room. "As am I. Which one is he?"

"Just look for the tallest guy in the room," Owen said. 

"Or the one with the brightest eyes," Wang added. 

I rolled my eyes at their answers and searched for Mitchell to only see him approaching us. "Speak of the devil and he appears."

Just then Mitchell arrived and his hand found the small of my back. Everyone's eyes landed on him and Mitchell awkwardly looked at their faces. "Um, am I interrupting something? Why are all of you staring at me?"

"Because you were in LA and didn't even bother calling." Owen slapped Mitchell's arm. 

"And we were just talking about you," Faith added. 

Mitchell looked at me quizzically before he turned his attention to the group. "You were?"

"He really is the tallest person in the room," Dante said to Wang. 

"And his eyes are the brightest," Kiara muttered. 

"Uh, maybe I should go..." Mitchell awkwardly mumbled. 

I suppressed my laughter and gestured to Kiara, her fiancé, and Dante and introduced Mitchell. Owen sulked about Mitchell not meeting him in LA until Faith scolded him and the two of them were besties again. 

"It feels good to have the gang back," Wang commented. "With newly added members."

"Yeah, I missed you guys," Faith squeezed my hand. "Just Leo's missing. Is he not here yet?"

My heart sank and my smile dropped. I missed Leo and thought of him all the time. I missed the Leo I knew and adored but was reminded of how much he'd changed. I felt Mitchell tense beside me and hoped he didn't disclose anything. The last thing I needed was to talk about everything that went wrong in my life recently. 

"No, he won't be here," I replied with a fake grin.

"Come to think of it, I haven't seen Leo in a while," Wang mused. 

"Who's Leo?" Dante curiously asked. 

"Mila's handsome BFF," Wang replied. 

Not anymore.