Chapter 30: Dinner (and a bite of dessert)

Their first kiss is tender and sweet, a warm press of lips, the gentle slide of Hitoshi's mouth against Izuku's. He has to lean down for Izuku to reach, but he hangs on with fingers twined in the hair at the back of his neck. They tickle and tug he sighs in happy bliss against Hitoshi's mouth.

Hitoshi is not sure what to do with the hands on Izuku's shoulders, so he sweeps them down his back to loop around his waist and tugs him closer, pulling the shorter male in until they're pressed against each other.

Izuku tilts his head back far enough for their lips to part, and gasps, "Mura-"

Hitoshi swiftly presses their mouths together again to cut him off. "HmMmm," he admonishes between little pecks. He can feel Izuku's hands nudging at his shoulders insistently, so he relents for a moment and pulls back an inch, looking down into dazed green eyes.

"Hitoshi," Izuku corrects himself, blinking up at him.

He gives him one last lingering kiss before standing straight, relishing in the little sound of protest that Izuku makes. "Not fair," he grumbles, clinging to Hitoshi's neck as they stand close together.

He very reluctantly unwinds his arms and takes a step back. "You sounded like you wanted to say something." He looks over Izuku's face and is pleased to see him pink-cheeked and completely frazzled. He wants to pull him right back into his arms.

"I- um," he says at last, glancing down at Hitoshi's chest. "Your armor," he explains with a little wave of his hand.

Hitoshi arches a brow and looks down at himself, then blanches at the sight of tools, utility pouches, and the protruding handles of four sheathed knives that can't be comfortable for a close embrace.

He flicks his gaze back to Izuku's and smirks. "I can take it all off," he drawls, running a hand up his side to feel out the first of the latches.

Izuku turns crimson and squeaks, backing away with his hands up. "No, no that's alright. We should-" He quickly looks around for an escape, "Finish dinner!"

Hitoshi hums in amusement as Izuku drops back into his seat. He looks up at him nervously, twisting his fingers around his chopsticks.

"I do need to change out of this," he says, plucking at the edge of his filthy costume. He'd gotten ahead of himself by rushing straight to dinner and introductions (so they could continue on to the kisses). Izuku is in only marginally better condition, with smears of blood lingering in his hair and on his clothes.

"Finish eating before it gets cold again," Izuku murmurs, poking at his food while watching him. "But sit here," he suggests, patting the spot adjacent to his.

Hitoshi laughs and moves his plate over. The rest of dinner is filled with idle chatter and Izuku's blushes. Hitoshi doesn't think he'll ever get tired of seeing those.

Izuku thinks of something as they're dishing out seconds and shrinks in on himself with a surge of embarrassment. "I'm glad to know you're gainfully employed. As a hero and all that," he waves his hand. "Because I... um," he laughs a little and rubs at the back of his neck as he rolls his eyes to look up at the ceiling. He sighs. "I contacted a bunch of outreach programs to have them start canvassing our area. I thought you needed help."

Hitoshi laughs aloud, looking at the prints in a pile by his coffee pot. "I actually picked up a bunch of their brochures for you because I thought you needed help."

Izuku's smile dims a little, but he's still in a good mood as he replies, "Sometimes I need a little help."

Hitoshi nods. "Me too."