Chapter 20: Guilty (distractions)

Shinsou wants to murder the sidekick with a burning passion. Straight out strangle the idiot and throw them over the edge of the closest rooftop. But luckily for the both of them, there are bigger problems to tackle, first, and maybe afterwards they'll revisit the option.

The odd peaceful patrols for the whole last week was bound to eventually end, and the sidekick can't quite handle the trio of criminals that decide to bring out their quirks when they see one hero all by themselves.

The sidekick's call for backup had unbelievably (un)lucky timing. Shinsou is closest, only three blocks away. And isn't that insane, he thinks as he skids into an alley out of sight of any onlookers and scales the side of a building. Three blocks away from where he and Midori have been spoiling alley cats.

A single tiny tweak in someone else's plans could have had both of them smack-dab in the middle of a knock-down drag-out fight in the city streets, with his capture weapon on full display and quirked heroics no longer something he could hide.

He got lucky this time.

Unlucky, the back of his mind corrects.

Until he can reveal his identity and what's been going on with his side-mission, anything else with Midori has to be taken slow and careful. It feels like too much of a lie to sink into something more serious when they don't even use their names.

Names first.

Kissing after.

Without his voice modulating mask, it's a little more difficult to do impressions of the criminals' voices, but one of them is easy enough to fake, and in the sudden confusion of a random civilian (him, still in jeans and his comfy shirt) showing up out of nowhere, he manages to snag two of the idiots, leaving the third for the sidekick to knock out and restrain.

"Thanks," they wheeze, bent over and coughing.

"Try requesting backup before you get in over your head, next time," he mutters, and the sidekick lifts a shaky thumbs-up.

(Maybe he'll postpone sidekick-murder for another day.)

Shinsou is not happy to spend the next two hours filling out paperwork alongside the sidekick, but it's a somewhat bonding experience of them apologizing profusely while Shinsou ignores everything entirely.

He does wave over his shoulder once he finally gets a chance to escape.

He doesn't even flip the bird.

Progress.

He comes home via rooftops and drops quietly onto his balcony. A peek into the neighboring window reveals all the are lights out and Midori fast asleep on his couch with his laptop half-closed on the small table at his side.

Strange. Midori is usually up later to keep his night shift schedule on track.

He wonders, briefly, if Midori would appreciate being woken with a knock on the window. To make him go to bed in his actual bed, nothing more.

Probably.

He sighs.

(Names first.)

He slips into his apartment and greets his cats. They both know exactly what he's been doing and are not pleased. He is forced to air out his capture weapon on the balcony, then put his clothes in the wash and shower before they'll grace him with their presence.