Chapter 24: (everything is) Falling Apart

Midori's behavior is a little worrying, especially that he doesn't want to discuss whatever's bothering him. But he takes the sudden flip in mood toward the positive as a good sign and does his best to encourage it to keep hold.

He hopes his friend understands what it means to have people he can depend on.

He manages to get very little reading done as he sits alongside Midori dozing his headache away. The mystery writer's document is so long that he has trouble focusing on the details of fraud. He's very tempted to skim past it to get to the people that were affected, but he's stubborn and doesn't want to miss anything that might reveal a good clue.

This slice of domesticity is pleasant, hanging out in the quiet with his friend's feet finding new and interesting ways to maintain contact with him every time he gets up for more coffee.

He wonders how much of a cuddler he'll be.

He wonders how soon he might find out.

There is more to do on Thursday evening before the bust Friday night, so Hitoshi wishes Midori a good night before he trudges off to the agency. He has gear to prepare and double-check, and he's supposed to get fitted for a bulletproof bodysuit.

They're a bitch to get on and off, expensive as fuck, and worst of all they have to be replaced after using them three times, so he doesn't get to wear them often unless something exceptionally dangerous is coming up.

(A team full of specialists carrying automatic weapons is a reasonably dangerous situation.)

He doesn't have to worry so much about taking a bullet to the neck or the groin, though, which is a vast improvement over the kevlar vests the police force usually gets to wear.

He's glad to see Midori in the café the next morning before he heads out to the agency. The knowledge that their big case is finally coming to a close that night weighs heavily on him, but a portion of that lifts when he sees Midori's bright green eyes and knows he'll be missed.

He kind of wants to stick around for the rest of the day. Tell him everything. Drop his obligations and anything else going on in his life and learn all he can about this man.

If the agency isn't in much of a rush to find the mystery consultant, then he won't be, either.

And if it turns out Midori is (or knows) the guy they're looking for, maybe some one-on-one time is exactly what he'll need to help reveal some of those secrets that he's been hiding.

He wonders how easily he might be able to pry answers out of that cute little mouth with the right kinds of motivation.

(The kinds of motivation that Midori would enjoy.)

(Because he wants him to want him back.)

(To stay.)

Midori wants to know his name before they do anything, of course, and he thinks that he's finding enough reasons to hand it over, if only for the simple fact that he'd like to hear him say it.

Often.

Frequently.

Before each kiss.

Between each one thereafter.